Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Commenting, Candidates (kind of) & Change?

First note, you may have noticed the "Events Calendar" page has been deleted.  No interest, so no need.

Commenting

Next, if you want to leave a comment now, you are going to have to sign in.  No more anonymous.

Why might you ask?

I thought hard about this decision, as there have be some good comments from people choosing to remain anonymous.  There really have.  There have been some pretty foolish ones too.  I published a couple.  I have refused to publish some.

The most recent one came in at 10:21 PM. last night.  I wasn't going to publish it, because from where I am sitting, it is that type of mentality that hurts a certain point of view more than it helps (See comments under "Special Edition").  Another self-inflicted shot in the foot won't help, but hey ...

I am sorry there is a certain segment that can't figure out what many others get; and, I am sorry people have a hard time understanding the "why" behind the statements.  You have reasons for making statements the way you choose, I have reasons for doing things the way I choose.

However, because anonymous comments such as the latest one drag down those from people wish to actually engage in civil discourse, there will no longer be an "anonymous" designation allowed.

You will have to register to post your comment.  You can set them up so your true identity remains "anonymous".  If that is so, you might ask then why the need to "register".  I want a way to distinguish between commentators.  I want the readers to be able to know, if not the true identity, at least the identity of the commentator so that all the anonymous comments do not get judged in the same light.

From this point forward, you will have to come up with a screen name, so at least I and other readers will know which "anonymous" is posting.

Candidates - FREE FORM

I am going to leave the FREE FORM page up for a few more days.  Again, thought it might be an idea worth doing.  If there isn't any interest in it, I'll re-assess and try and think of something else.

Change? - Government Forum

It has reached a point, at least in my mind, that someone needs to get the ball rolling on at least assessing the need to change or government structure.  I have been advocating for a charter commission for a number of years, hoping that someone might start the process.  I explained a bit why I haven't myself done it in a previous post.

With everything else going on at the moment, the timing presently is not right for me, but it has reached the point where I am willing to help get the ball rolling.   I am thinking a push should be made to organize a meeting to gauge the interest in a charter commission and willingness of people to actually do the leg work.

I am convinced that this is an absolute necessity.  The time is right, and I will detail those reason in a later post.

There will most definitely be leg work involved.  A petition drive will have to occur.  The signatures needed are 15% of the number of registered voters in the last state election.

So you are aware, membership on the charter commission is by election held on the ballot for an annual town election.  There are 9 members on the commission.  They would not receive a salary, but the law provides for compensation of expenses incurred.  It also provides for a minimum budget to the commission in the amount of $5,000.00 for a town the size of Fairhaven.

If you are interested in reviewing what is involved and what would need to be done, and what the commission is required to do, check out M.G.L. c. 43B, Sections 1 -18.

Anyone who is truly serious about a need to change, willing to work on such a commission, and willing to do so within the structure of a charter commission, might be very interested in such a meeting.  As noted, members are elected to this commission.  They are not subject to any authority other than the voters.  Indeed the law provides that they have a great deal of free rein in what they can do, and also directs what the town must do to assist them.

If people are willing, and this means anyone, let me know.  I am not talking about whether you think it is a good idea.  I am talking about getting involved and seeing it through.  Just remember, the only guaranty as far as being a member on the commission is if the people elect you!

There is common ground on the issue of a need to change government.  What better way to do it, to find a consensus, to propose a structure, than to have the same ultimately determined by all the voters!

2 comments:

  1. I agree, all that is needed is a group that is determined and dedicated for change. There are a host of issues that can be resolved with a charter government, it just might be the vehicle that brings us back from separatism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to an earlier blog; there are very specific qualities that I am looking for in a candidate and believe it or not, issues are not top of the list. I could be wrong, but in my humble opinion, the issues merely shed a spotlight on the underlying systemic problems epidemic in local government. Taking personalities out of the equation, mistakes were made on multiple levels. Mistakes are inherent as part of human behavior, we all make them; however we need to be open to learn from them and take corrective action. I also think that systems could be put in place to minimize these errors and promote more checks and balances. Something so desperately needed.

    As it comes down to the candidates, my expertise is not in politics but I know human behavior. In my experience, you can teach budgets, politics and simple social skills however changing a personality type is a whole different animal. This time around, I'm looking for a “partnership” between our elected officials and the community. I think we all know what this looks like and behaves like.

    I still consider myself new to the town process, and I must say, I find it both intimidating and frustrating. I would like a simplified version with instructions. If you don't know the rules of the game you are at a serious disadvantage or let's say a handicap. If you want to engage the public, give them the handbook. I say this literally. Personally, I'm willing to stick with it and learn from it. Perhaps a Charter Commission is what we need. I am actually quite excited to take a look at the site in a few minutes. Thanks for throwing that out there! BTW...this is the first time responding.

    Sharon Andersen

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.