Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Reading between the lines


I have been following the links to a number of sites lately; you know the ones people post for you to go to learn about how good their candidate is, or to find out how bad their candidate's opponent is.  I have learned quite a lot lately.

Seems whether you intend to vote for Scott Brown or Elizabeth Warren, there are people in the other 49 states who support the opposite choice who are ready to tell you just what a fool you are, how dumb you are, how ignorant you are and how much out of touch with reality you are.

I never realized just how dumb we are here in the Bay State when compared to the legions of enlightened people in the rest of the country.  Go figure.

The one thing neither of the two major parties gets is the fact that the people in this country are in fact divided in thirds.  Roughly 1/3 for each of the two parties and 1/3 for other.

Put another way, no one has a monopoly on being right by virtue of simple numbers; and, there is nothing simple about the numbers they have.  Whether either party cares to acknowledge it, more and more people are simply just getting fed up with the antics.

You want to know why there seems to be an overwhelming apathy, one that too many people fight every day from slipping into themselves?  Just look at the stuff being spewed from the far end of the right and the left.

It is suppose to be the job of the candidate and his or her supporters to convince us to vote for the candidate, not tell us how plain stupid we are for even thinking about voting the other way.

I just don't get it I guess.

Time to move on, for today anyway

I have received several e-mails on the summer reading list at the Middle School, and have been following the letters to the newspapers and the articles.  I will acknowledge the fact that not all books are appropriate for all children.

Whether certain books are age appropriate for 8th graders falls under the same acknowledgment.

I have actually read a few of the books on the reading lists.  I haven't read the one that is in controversy.  I have read a number of reviews and articles on it.

I actually remember an 8th grade reading controversy for me.  It wasn't the result of a summer reading list, but as a result of a book I personally wanted to read.  The book was "The Godfather".  Steamy stuff way back when.

It wasn't much of a debate really, because I had a secret weapon.  My VoVó.  She had never read it.  She in fact couldn't read.  I won't get into the specifics of the rationale as to why I was able to read it.  She was the reason I was able to though.

I read a lot growing up.  All kinds of things: historical novels and biographies, just about everything by Stephen King, also Robert Ludlum, along with trash novels, popular stuff, papers and magazines.  

I use to hit the Book Mobile (remember that) every week in the summer, take out my two books, and actually read them.  I had to get a note one time from my mother giving me permission to take books from the adult section.

I still enjoy reading.  It opens your eyes.  It makes you think.  Way back then was when I started to realize that two people could read the same thing and come to two entirely different conclusions.

But I digress...

If there were only one book on the reading list I might be concerned. If there were only two or three, I might be concerned.  There isn't.

Personally, I want a list of books that run a broad spectrum. I see no harm in choices and I don't wish to see my child's choices limited.  I counted 24 books on the reading list on-line for 8th graders in the Middle School.  Should any parent simply have to rely on a critique to determine what the child will read, no.  Does a parent have to read all 24 books to find an appropriate one, also no.

We can debate the issue of a timely release of the complete list so as to in fact enable a parent to read all the books on the list.  I won't though.

What makes a book appropriate for a child of any age depends on a multitude of factors.  One of which I do sincerely believe is whether the parents deem the book appropriate.  I agree that parents should know what their children are reading.  I agree parents have a right for input of what is considered age appropriate for their children.  I also agree that parents have a right in making the decision of what book the child will read.

I don't agree that parents are to be the soul determining factor of everything that goes on in any school, or whether any certain book makes or doesn't make the list.  If you disagree so be it.  But in doing so consider the fact that there are many communities in this nation, and even in this progressive state, where majority community beliefs are what some on both ends of the spectrum look at as revisionist history and science, or are totally opposite of the moral beliefs of a substantial segment of the community.

When it comes to banning books, I don't deal in absolutes save one, I don't believe in it.

I am not going to tell any parent that this is an appropriate book for every child of a certain age; and, I am not going to tell any parent that it isn't an appropriate book for any child of a certain age.

The particular book in question might be one where I would question its use as a classroom wide reading material for course study during the school year at the 8th grade level, but it isn't one I am willing to say should be removed as an option on the reading list.

It is simply my opinion.  Take it, or leave it, at that.

6 comments:

  1. Michelle FurtadoMonday, August 27, 2012

    I had ire with the 'selection in question' last year when it was the required title. No choice.
    I was shocked because it was completely different than every other title my kids have read in their classroom. And I never considered an educational system would support using foul language in a purposeless context.
    Maybe because I went to school a long time ago, when that language was unacceptable to my teachers and parents, or maybe because I know there are so many other books that express painful subjects with more acceptable (to me) language, I can't hide my disappointment, (disgust) with the administration for suggesting it.
    It is true that two people can read the same book, and come to two different opinions about it. But people have to READ the book. It is unfair to read a summary, or review and make a judgement about it. And after this experience, I cannot trust that the administration and I share the same moral values.
    The point to my action in requesting that H.M.S. release the list in a more appropriate time frame, to allow parents time to read the books, is that we can't judge a book in any other way.
    Along the way, I am informing people of exactly what their tax-supported school department is recommending these days. I was surprised to find out, myself.
    I am in NO WAY trying to ban ANY book. If I was responsible for the list, I would certainly have different titles on it. If the Hastings Middle School principal is proud of the recommendations, well so be it. But I want to make it clear to all, that at least one parent doesn't agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it appropriate to ask which titles have caused all the uproar? Having no children, I am completely out of the loop with anything school-related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

      Delete
    2. Michelle FurtadoMonday, August 27, 2012

      Another title that was brought to my attention is, "If I Stay," by Gayle Forman. I just picked it up from the library, and I will read it tonight. But after looking at the list and amazon reviews, there could be more. If we read the books, we would know which ones go against our principles, or didn't.

      Delete
  3. I find this book more than appropriate for our middle school readers. It is about a young boy born on the "Rez" in Spokane Washington, he understands poverty in a way many do not. He decides to attend an all white school. Where he feels torn between reality at home on the "rez" and his desire to become a cartoon artist, the book has doodles through out.
    The only complaint that I can offer as a parent of a middle school student, is that "Weetamoe A Pocasset Princess" is not on the list.
    She was the Queen of the land we call home.
    If parents really feel threatened by allowing their kids to read about other ethnic groups poverty...they need to take off their blinders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle FurtadoTuesday, August 28, 2012

      It isn't the subject matter at all that I find objectionable. I am open to exposing my children to lifestyles, and living conditions of all ethnic and social groups. What I am opposed to is the school recommending books written with the intent of teaching about differences, while laden with excessive vulgar language. The foul language in 'that' book, or others, is not what convinces me that the boy has a difficult life.
      I came across a great (to me) book this summer. It is, "between shades of gray," by Ruta Sepetys. Check it out, www.between shades of gray.com. Amazing in every way, (to me.)

      Delete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.