Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Most Definitely T.G.I.F.

I try to follow my own advice.  I actually manged to do so, both last night for the most part and this morning.  
I have counted up to as high as 398, several times.  It would have been higher but more than several times I lost count.

I do my absolute best to bite my tongue at public meetings, when a member of the audience.  I try to stay in the back of the room.  I will mutter under my breath, shake my head in disbelief, tap my foot, silent count up, over and over again.

Problem number one last night for me.  The unbelievable length of discussion on comp time.  Problem number two.  The absolute difficulty in listening to the discussion.  

Granted, the concerted being held upstairs contributed to the noise in the room.  That actually was probably a good thing.  The music actually sounded pretty good.  what do they say about how music can soothe?

Even on a non-concert night however, unless you are front and center, you can observe people everywhere straining to hear.  But I digress.  Noise alone isn't what made the discussion painfully difficult to listen too.

Problem number three. After a 45 minute discussion and useless chastisement, after talk about a problem having existed over several years, after talk about setting precedent, two of the three vote simply to allow another re-occurrence of a practice that two of the three of them have known about for more than just this one occurrence.

Problem number four, stop feeling the need to go out of your way to reference anything I may say in whatever capacity.  It has become readily apparent to me that the vast majority of times, over too many years, by too many selectmen, it is only done to either throw out a zinger or for pandering.  

But again, I somewhat digress ...

Do not sit there and kid yourself that the lack of a formal policy and procedure not existing for comp. time was a legitimate excuse for the 2 to 1 vote last night.  The reference to having deal with the same issue previously, several times, would have been more than a legitimate reason for a contrary decision.  

At least there was a decision.  Go ahead, continue to do what you want.

It is very appropriate that we are a coastal community.  Like the water you sometimes need to scoop from the ocean, decisions in this town on too many things are clearly formed using the most convenient container at your disposal.  

You want a piece of advice to follow.  Stop grabbing a container with holes in it.  Sooner or later, the water seeps out and just makes a big mess.

If you are reading this and asking yourself what the heck is he talking about, watch the meeting, because if I try to attempt to provide "detail" this blog is not going to meet the rules for posting.

But for the record, was I a bit angry last night, just a tad upset, at the end of the meeting. Absolutely.  Seething would be an actually appropriate term.

A slow simmer turns to a roiling boil to sit there, and at the close of the meeting, in the now infamous selectmen blurb segments to hear another issue raised about how we need to start addressing that problem soon.  A problem that has been in need of addressing for years.  A problem for which concerns have been raised over and over again.  A problem for which warning bells have been sounding louder and louder as time progresses.  A problem which is absolutely known to existing members. A problem that the minute it is raised we should be hearing those annoying disclaimers about conflicts, potential conflicts, etc. etc. A problem which gets less time spent on it than setting meeting schedules does.  

Again I have to stop.  Because in my mind, as potentially warped as it may be, I somehow feel that a $4.5 million dollar issue deserves more than periodic reference to being a problem.  

Too think I made the decision to leave the Town Study Committee meeting to go to the Selectmen's meeting. 

That has to show you I guess just how warped my thought process can be. 

One holds the real promise for necessary action.  The other more often than not turning into a meeting that attendance at has to be my subconscious demanding I do some form of penance.

I sit here and think back over the past twenty +/- years of what I call "active" involvement.  Today, there come to mind five decisions I truly regret having made.  Four of those I probably will never tell you.  I will probably at some point tell you the fifth, and most recent, just not today.

How is that a relevant statement, probably not at all.

Maybe I am just spinning wheels at this point.  

There is a point I do want to make though.  I want to clear the air.  I have been asked too many times recently what's my motive for showing up at so many meetings recently.  Not that anyone should ever have to explain why they attend any meeting, to quash some of the guesses, note: 

Reason No.1 - I probably am dumber than I look.  Reason No. 2 - See the penance reference above. Reason No. 3 -  I believe in practicing what you preach.

What is absolutely not a reason: I am definitely not running for selectman next April.  Neither do I presently possess any thought or intent of doing so any year after that.  I won't say never because my cracked crystal ball can only see so far into the future.  However if you were to lay down a bet, I would suggest it be a very small amount for extremely long odds.

Enough for today, maybe too much for today and in some ways not enough.  

Be safe.

6 comments:

  1. Michelle FurtadoFriday, July 26, 2013

    It's painful to watch the board, most often the chair try to skirt around their own policies. Congratulations to one selectman for voting against the first motion (that had to include a provision to justify the weak reason for making a motion at all.) Thank goodness the harbormaster was prepared with an arsenal of 'justifications' for the situation he was in, so the chair could think of a weakness in the policy in order to give him what he was asking for.
    The 'ums' and 'ahs' and indecisive looks between each other are trademarks of this 'skirting around the issue' behavior. I can understand the need to have discussion about some issues, and the need to have time to digest the discussions. But I don't understand the repeated quandary that takes place when something happens and there is a policy already in place to address that situation. It's gotten so that a 'skirting' can be predicted just from looking at the night's agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 45 minutes on the comp issue?! - geez, I'm glad I left after 20 of those minutes - I lose patience when, at ANY public meeting, discussion of single issues are prolonged any more than 10 minutes (unless it's a public hearing and several people need to be heard)because the same points are beaten to death over and over and over and over again - the longer it goes on the more it seems there is no control by the chair and no decisiveness by all members on the board/committee - everyone one involved should state their case then there should be only one round of rebuttal so everyone should make it good b/c there is only the one shot then a decision should be made, period, then move on to the next issue - the longer an issue is dragged out the chances increase that the arguments get louder and more inflammatory - another thing boards should consider is that not every meeting should be conducted as a public hearing b/c if they are it seems to me that they would need to be posted that way ahead of time so that if a citizen wants to be heard on a particular issue they will be sure to attend that meeting - no one should have to sit through hours of countless meetings so that they can be heard if their issue/concern should happen to be brought up - I've never been completely satisfied with the way the school committee handles public input and I'm not at all in favor of how the current select board handles it - there needs to be a consistent manner between all boards/committees on how public input is included in meetings so that the voting public can be heard yet not take over a meeting - also, perhaps only registered voters should be heard b/c after all, if one doesn't vote why should they be allowed a public opinion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem at last night's meeting wasn't about public comment. It was about the chair not taking control. It was about the ridiculous amount of time used to wiggle around a known policy. And making an adjustment to accommodate an individual and his situation. It would be comical to have other departments come forward at the next BOS meeting to ask for the same thing. Open the flood gates.

      Delete
  3. The Harbor master always has bundles papers for his presentations which require hours to decipher ,and asks for a decision in the net ten minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle FurtadoFriday, July 26, 2013

      Why do the bundles take hours to decipher? Is there money somewhere to buy him an $8.00 file folder from Walmart?
      If he chooses to continue to use the same organizing system, then he should be prepared to have the same time consuming result. If the selectmen held to the policies, the decision would have taken less than 10 minutes. Everyone who saw the meeting knew the answer. Let's see if the board gives him another pass next July.

      Delete
  4. Well, I gotta say I agree that it was difficult to hear, between the side conversations, the music, and the relatively quiet talk at the front of the room, coupled with the door opening and closing all night long.... I don't think I got a very good handle on much of anything. Being relatively new to sitting through complete Selectman's meetings(being involved in my town) and BOH Meetings, I can see that I am more apt to learn about how to develop more patience and tolerance than much about town Gov. Although, I did get to google a few interesting by-laws that I hope to see used soon. Thanks for the reference material, and the tap dancing lesson. The coffee smelled great!!! FireBPM@Aol.com.....

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.