Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Tea anyone?

With a day off from blogging yesterday, you would think I might be refreshed and raring to go.  Well, kind of, sort of, maybe... than again maybe not.

Most interesting point heard on my "day off", was a call in to WBSM's open line, right around 4:50 P.M.  A caller brought up the selectmen's agenda for Thursday.  The caller's concern was the item under the "Discussion" segment listed as "Request to air Board of Health Debates".

According to the caller, he had information from a source that indicated the intent was to air the previous "debates, and also stated the intent was not to air any new debates.  I am sure I am not the only one out there who caught this call.

Two points here, the first being airing the old debates.  By itself nothing wrong with that I suppose.  Same two candidates. Same underlying issues. Same opportunity to assess.

If there is a "new debate" or series of "debates" than I would think the same would also be aired.  I don't see the board not doing it.  Why would it?

Anyway, I haven't heard of any "debates" being scheduled or proposed.  The only one that the "town" controls, other than taping and airing is the Govt. Access Channel candidates night format.  Absent radical change in the why this one has actually be conducted in recent years, whether another one is held or not isn't going to make or break this election in my mind.

I am assuming also that the same attempts to air any other of the standard "debates" would be made if the same were held.

Whatever source the caller had, we will find out quickly enough as to what the discussion will be.

One comment was made yesterday on Monday's post.  It started with the statement that "We all know who will be the next BOH member a lot of feathers have been ruffled."

The feathers part is true enough, however I for one don't "know" at this point.  At this point it is a guess, and if I had to guess it would seem that mine would be different from the commentator.  It would be a guess at this point though.

Truthfully, I don't "know".  I don't see this one being as close as the last one.  Another guess I suppose.  The prolonging the decision factor cited later in the brief comment will have an affect, but I think that has more to do with the fact it caused another group to organize and energize.

The real determinant factor is going to be mobilization.  Yes, I know an obvious statement.  But we all seem to tend to ignore the obvious at times don't we.

Besides the candidates themselves and the core supporters for each, i.e. the people they can get out to vote because of them specifically, we have two groups, "Windwise" and "Friends of Fairhaven Wind".

If you really do know who wins, well you are better at this than I am.  Still too far away for me to even hazard a real guess. About two weeks from the election I think there will be better indicators to make it worthwhile to peer into the crystal ball.  Until then, things are just a bit too cloudy for me to see.

Interesting tactics being played out though.

The phrase the "silent majority" has popped up recently.  Because it is impossible to tell where those silent people fall at this point, things are a bit murky.

The only surprise I will have with the results though is if this election is anywhere near as close as the last one.  Why?  One of these two groups is going to be able to muster a push from that silent segment at the polls.It won't be a groundswell, but enough I think. The issue is which group.

Maybe it is just more hope that anything else, but I do think you will see people come out and vote based solely on the concept of the best way to end it all.  Casting a vote the way most likely to do so in their opinion.

Again this election won't end the debate.  It won't unify the town.  It won't heal.  Some people are thinking though that it will at least firmly set the course we will travel.  At least until next April anyway.

As always, signs, tee-shirts, and more recently Facebook likes, are not votes.  They can be indicators of votes, but they don't guaranty an votes.  The are just part of mix when you swirl the tea to read the leafs.

Enough for today.

Be Safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.