Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Taking a leap

To take a leap of faith is a decision we all face from time to time. 

I am not talking about our personal lives here. We all have no choice in those sometimes. We all must more than occasionally take that leap.

I am talking more in the nature of those leaps of faith we are asked to take in our community.

Turn back the clock twenty years, and move it forward for review, in the reality which is our town I have taken such leaps of faith occasionally.  Sometimes experiencing deep regret and others being glad to have done so. On every such occasion however when taking that leap, it has been done with deep reservations.

Potential is an extremely tempting argument at times.  It becomes near irresistible if there is very good potential. It becomes extremely less tempting when there are a number of different potential results. It becomes down right confusing when multiple proponents cannot form a unified argument. It becomes a more than bit scary when you can't get a firm reason as to why you should jump.

Yes, sometimes you have to take a leap of faith to get to where you want to go, or where you think you should go. No doubt.

There are times when such leaps are easy. Or is it more appropriate to say appear the leaps seems easy to take at the time?

You and I are getting a bit older each day.  As for the "I" part of the equation, I don't have the same leaping ability as I did twenty years ago.  There is a bit more appreciation for that if I am being honest.

As pessimistic as it may sound, I am glad I no longer will blindly leap across a chasm solely based on what others tell me is on the other side.  I need to at least be able to see what is there.  Even if the sight is at a distance, my faith in the promise land now as to be based on something a bit tangible. I have to be able to see how it actually looks, even if from a distance.

The width of the expected leap has to be a bit less than in times past too. I just somehow don't seem to be able to handle the big distances anymore.

The deepest regrets referenced above have come as a result of following a vision, rather than reality. The most unfortunate part of that has been blindly accepting the vision of others.   I will add that is solely my own mistake.  There is a reason horses wear blinders at times.  A horse has little choice though.  A person however chooses to wear the blinders and should at least realize they are not seeing the whole field of vision.

Folks, always know what you are getting into.  Do not go lightly along a path Angels fear to tread.

Assess the risks as well as the benefits.  Do that honestly and to the best of your abilities. There are often different reasons as to why different people pursue a course.  Depending on function, it may in fact not only seem to be, but actually in fact be extremely valid from their perspective, yet cannot stand scrutiny from that of another.

A desired result for you, may not be so desirable for your neighbor.

Think. Think long and hard.

The heart and gut often overrule the head.  When you are on a lucky streak that is a good thing. When you are not on a lucky streak, well I suppose you know what the results of that can be or are. Remember luck streaks are called streaks for a reason.

I suppose it comes down to how far you can leap, or how far you are willing to fall if you don't make the jump.

Enough.

Be safe.





1 comment:

  1. Lets take a leap of faith an say (why buy more land for public safety when you have the ideal location on Alden road) central location access to major highway,etc.maybe add a windmill to power the complex,or tie into the sun panels on the landfill.As we can see ,I don't wear blinders an my eyes are open to any cost saving ideas..

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.