Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Charter Chatter

I want to note the movement for the charter commission petition drive will "formally" get under way.  Those interested in becoming involved please consider attending.  The meeting to begin the process for working toward a new charter will be held on Saturday morning 9:00 a.m. at the Town Hall.

I know it seems there has been a drop in the interest and "desire" as someone put it to me recently.  I would respectfully disagree.

This isn't about any one idea or personal opinion.  It is about an effort to take a long look at our town's present government structure and to look at what is working, what isn't what things need to be tweaked or changed and how to make government better.

It has been a very long time, too long in my opinion, since the people of our town have taken a long hard look at how our town operates and what can be done to improve it.

The last serious effort took place 25 years ago.  Must has changed since that time.

Whatever the eventual recommendations from a Charter Commission, it is ultimately the voters of Fairhaven who will decide.

I have been involved, what I would consider actively involved, in town government  for most of the past 18 years.  There is no doubt in my mind there is a need for a Charter Commission.  This is one of those matters where the idea meets my personal three prong test.  My head, my gut and my heart all tell me this is needed.

This isn't about any individual, any one position, or any specific agenda.  At least not for me.  If it is for anyone out there please, find another avenue.

The people I know to be actively involved in this point see the same need I do.  We need to take that long hard look at government.  Not everyone shares the same political view points or walk hand in hand on all issues, indeed we may not be in step on any issue, other than the need to make a Charter Commission reality

If you can't attend the meeting, but want to be involved in some capacity, send an e-mail to: fairhavenchartercommission@gmail.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.