Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Some More Rambling

What is it all about?

Figure that one out and you can write your own ticket anywhere.

You may of noticed that I didn't publish a piece yesterday.  It wasn't for the lack of one.  Had one I had started the day before in response to some on-line stuff I had read.  Wrote it, reviewed it, edited it.  Reviewed it again.  around 7:00 A.M. I decided to hold off on posting it.  

Why?

Because once you put something out there, it is there.  Not that I feel anything in it is inaccurate or that it is worth saying.  Just didn't feel right to do it, not at this time anyway.  The facts were right, the logic sound. The timing was off.

Free speech, and the ability to say what is on your mind are very wonderful things.  The simple fact of the matter is just because you have an ability to do those things, doesn't mean you should go ahead and do them.  

Issues surround us every single day.  We are all affected by different things.  We support different things and we are offended by different things.

If you aren't sure where this piece is going today, either am I.

There are a lot of things simmering in the pot right now.  You can gleam some of it from reading the papers (note the plural), watching the meetings currently airing and which will be airing next week.  You can also get some insight by listening to the talk around town.  

It is that time of the year where much of what happens in town is under the radar.  Not because of any intent to hide things, although I am sure some things are being done behind the scenes.  Most of what is going on is simply not appearing on people's radar screens because they have them shut off.  

The election season was a long one, and while town meeting was somewhat anti-climatic the process to get there was not.  People are a bit burnt-out, myself included. May and June on the local political landscape are usually our town's equivalent of the legislature's summer recess.

Yet this morning, specifically as I write this piece, I realize that what happens on the school yard during recess, can affect the rest of the day inside the classroom.

Reflecting on a couple of stories in the Neighborhood News, along with an e-mail chain on an issue I have apparently been made part of on an issue I am not quite sure why, and coupled with some information on other issues sent to me yesterday,  while the pot is simmering, if someone doesn't keep an eye on it, it just may boil over.  

No, it isn't my eye that is going to be watching it either.  

Anyway ...

Here comes another pitch for the Charter Commission.  If you are tired of hearing about it, no need to read anything further today.  If you are still on the fence, I suggest you take a long hard look at what is going on in Town and decide whether there just might be a better way.  I will be honest in the statement I am not sure what "that way" might be, but it seems to me that as well as some may feel we as a town operate, there is definite room for improvement.

It was Churchill who said that "Democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others that have been tried."  What makes Democracy better than all the others that have been tried is that it is a  concept that allows for and indeed is geared toward change. 

Just a thought.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.