Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tuesday's Thoughts

Let's start today with this statement:  If the folks suing the town and developer over the wind turbines win in court, I say good for them.  I mean that.  Said it before and will say it again I am sure.

If the lease agreements are held invalid on the lot description issue, then shame on the town and developer for failing to follow the requirements of the law. 

If the health claims are proved, then the project should be stopped.  Plain and simple. 

But to date, they have not been proved (I can all most hear and see people reacting to that statement).

Take all of the criticisms being leveled against the state panel, the developers' experts and just about anyone in favor of turbines, apply the same standard to those on the opposite side, and do so with an impartial view, or at least attempt to be impartial, and then honestly tell me there is conclussive proof, even proof beyond a preponderance.

Just as those opposed to the project dismiss out of hand any report, study or opinion that calls into question the findings of those who disagree with them, there are serious issues with the reports, studies and opinions that are used to support their positions.

The most recent "independent" expert cited involves a mathematical economist from Shelburne.  This individual certainly appears to qualify as an expert in his field.  Why wouldn't he be considered an independent expert as some have touted?

Let's start and end with the simple with the facts that: in his community there is a proposal to install turbines; and, the report isn't an independent review of the stating panel's report.  It is an opinion piece.  I really do not need to go any further.  

Is this person entitled to an opinion?  Yes, absolutely.  Can he draw on his professional knowledge and experience, absolutely.  But for those of you presenting this as an independent expert's opinion, please, at least be honest the fact that the gentlemen lives in Shelburne, as he does in the "report", and point out the controversy there, as has be done.  Then let's be honest about how this would possibly qualify as an independent opinion. 

I use this particular piece as an example, because it is the most recent.  It is not, however, the exception to the rule, not by far.

Just so everyone knows, I absolutely do not discount the concerns of people.  I don't.  

Just as no one should discount that the issues that should be addressed concerning the turbines have been entangled with a whole slew of other matters as one person who commented on a prior blog stated very correctly as to what is happening, although perhaps I disagree with the why it is happening. 

Nonetheless the debate over legitimate issues and concerns is being clouded by matters which some have tried to hang on the coat tails of the turbines dispute.   If you are against the turbines, you need to take a long and hard look at the battle being waged on your behalf.

9 comments:

  1. I do not neccessarily disagree that the placement of the 2 turbines is not suited for that particular area in town. My problen with FAF/WW is that they are waging an ugly war based on the junk science of one self-published book that used 38 people from 10 families world wide to create a syndrome, infringements on the civil rigts of the special needs community in order to advance their fear mongering campaign and the comparing the turbine issues to Hitler and the Holocaust. In one fell swoop my intelligence (I found much more info debunking wts than defending it) my sons (who have autism and tourette's)and my husband (whose father survived the Holocaust in Poland as a child) have been insulted. To boot they through in a personal attack for good measure (the school dpt wishes I was obsequious), and numerous innuendo and conspiracy theories that insult most of the elected officials on our boards. SHAME ON THEM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning. I hear you John - more studies are needed. No one really seems to know exactly why some people are feeling ill effects - but that does seem to be the case. So my questions are very simple: "Why can't this project be put on hold until we know health effects for sure?", "Why isn't the project put on hold until the legal issues are worked out?" or finally "Why can't they just put turbines further away from people?" (and yes, I realize Fairhaven may not have a suitable location) Bowcock's letter to the S-T called the WW people potentially dangerous. Where is his concern about the dangers of the turbines? Besides potential health effects, etc - there is real danger of mechanical failures & fires, etc - yes, a small percentage - but they do occur. I would appreciate if he and some other town leaders had some apprehension for residents who will be living within the shadow of these turbines. I think it is warranted.

      In my opinion it is unfair to burden folks with a project like this in their backyards that absolutely needs more research and studies. If we do not know the many variables and how they will affect our citizens - then is it really worth and estimated savings $20 per resident/per year that will potentially negatively affect the sanctity of their homes and health? The amount of two pizza lover pizzas - I mean really?

      Diane, as a parent I appreciate your Mama Bear reactions. I might even feel the same if I walked in your shoes. However, from my perspective - I will make the same comment as I did earlier - I didn't really hear WW saying that autistic children would DEFINITELY be affected - I only heard COULD THEY BE? because many have sensory issues. I don't think this is shameful - I don't think your child or any others had their civil rights infringed upon because questions were asked. If there is a question on how the turbines might affect the elderly, which I heard as well - do you think that is a slight against the elderly?
      I also actually don't believe they have discussed it out all that much - you consistently talk about it only contributing to the perpetuation.

      Delete
    2. Btw - I posted the message above and the other yesterd in the same vein but not the one asking your age - not sure what that was about :-)

      Likely someone who was referencing your memories of when 195 was built.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your comments. I will get to your questions, however, right at this moment, I don't have the time. Hopefully by late afternoon or early evening.

      They are valid and deserve to be addressed. Keep in mind, I can only speak for myself and offer my own opinion.

      One point I will make, and not that Diane needs anyone to answer for her, but I have heard, and seen posted, statements regarding autistic children formed much more definitively then in a question.

      Delete
  2. Fair enough on your last point. But I don't think the questions (or statements) necessarily come from a shameful place - because when the turbine controversy surfaced in November - I was wondering this too and not because I think turbines are unsightly. I had true concern for others and after reading lots of material from both sides with what I think is an open mind - still do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anonymous ~ I figured someone might have been questioning how my father in-law survived the Holocaust yet I was also a young girl when 195 was built.I don't know how the last 1/2 century went by so fast either. I will admit I do have a Mamma Bear instinct, however my advocacy for the special needs community goes beyond that. My sons are 13 & 16 and I've been studying and have had hands on experience with Autism, Anxiety & Depressive Disorders, Tourette Syndrome, ADHD, and BiPolar Disorder. I stated at a School Committee meeting that many children with neurological differences are more negatively impacted by the over stimulation of sound and light from the building fixtures and activities in the school than anything outside of them. I did extensive research through the WHO, CDC and physician dis ease indexes and could find nothing to support any suspicion that turbines effect the special needs community any more or less than the typical community. To insinuate any connect without a shred of science based research to back it is irresponsible at best and to me the very definition of fear mongering. I believe that it is shameful to use a population that is already facing stigma and ignorance in every day life as a pawn in a political game. Couple that with the insensitive and abhorrent comparison to Hitler and the Holocaust is nothing less than trying to incite hostility when none is warranted. I've been asked why I care so much since it's not my neighborhood. My response it is a town-wide issue since we all will suffer or benefit from the turbines in some way and that WW/FAF have made it clear that they also feel that it is a town-wide issue by bringing the Wood School into it. I've asked WW repeatedly to tone down the screaming so people can hear their arguments. I've also repeatedly stated that I have an open mind to the turbines themselves, but I can not abide the continued ignorant, cruel and shameful tactics of FAF/WW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have made good some points Diane but I really do disagree with your assertion that the anti-turbine people came to the table with mean spirited intentions re: special needs people or the comparison to Nuremburg trials. Just my opinion.

    Look I will not see the turbines from my house nor am I am close enough (I think! I hope!) to hear or feel any effects. I know that Fairhaven Turbine LLC reports say there is no proof of turbine caused illnesses. The state DEP says more studies do need to be done (but who is going to pay?). Lots of reports to read from both sides - but doesn't change the fact that people in Falmouth and other places around the country and world do seem to be experiencing serious problems. There is no way I would want these machines near my house. These are the people that are getting lost in all of this rhetoric and who I am feeling compelled to defend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. January 31, 2012

    Senate President Therese Murray says Falmouth Wind Turbines are Too Close

    In An Appearance Today with Mindy Todd on WCAI's The Point the Senator also Commented on the WESRA Bill

    Woods Hole, MA - Senate President Therese Murray said "Falmouth's industrial wind turbines are too close [to residents]".

    Senator Murray also explained her turn-around on WESRA [Wind Energy Siting Reform Act] which died on Beacon Hill.

    The program will be rebroadcast at [correction] 7:30 PM this evening on WCAI, NPR's (National Public Radio's) station in Woods Hole, at FM 90.1, 91.1, and 94.3 or can be streamed at:

    http://www.wgbh.org/includes/playerPopStream.cfm?station=objWCAI&ts

    The program will also be available later in the week at:

    http://www.wgbh.org/wcai/programDetail.cfm?programid=298

    WCAI can be found at: http://www.wgbh.org/wcai 508.548.9600

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted this "comment" because it may not be clear what this blog is or is not about to some. People are free to comment on the blog post or comments within the parameters previously established. You have an opinion, a comment, something to say, by all means do so. I am not going to start the practice of publishing "comments" which are simply announcements of events.

      Delete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.