Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Things to Read and to be Said

TO BE READ

I am recommending you visit the Fairhaven Neighborhood News News again, either by picking up a hard copy at various locations around the area (free), or visiting it online (just as free, if you don't count having to pay for your Internet connection).

The Editorial needs to be read, along with the article on page 30.  Don't forget the letters on pages 22 - 25.

The Advocate is worth reading also.  The editor weighs in on the "Nazi" debate.  You can find it in the 2/2/2012 issue or online at Editorial Speaker for turbine opponents made offensive comparison SouthCoastToday.com. (By all means read the entire paper and judge for yourself all of the stories in it).

Pay particular attention to the last paragraph in the editorial, indeed the last sentence discussing the Windwise Forum scheduled for February 7, 2012.  "Let's hope they come up with real experts t­­his time."

If they don't what really is the point?

TO BE SAID

Okay let's address the whole Nazi comment saga.  All three local papers have weighed it.  All three have expressed basically the same opinion.  All three, in my own opinion were right.  I heard the presentation, I saw the slide.  The first thought that popped into my head was "I hope he isn't going to go there."

I have waited a few days to in fact see what would pan out, whether there would be anything further in the papers, any further statement from the presenter and comments from the public.

Maybe it is the lawyer in me, but it was very clear to me what the intent was.  Again maybe it is the lawyer in me, but it was his right to say it, just as he has to live with the consequences of what he said.

That being said, there are certain lines that we should not cross for the sole sake of making an argument, no matter what our intentions are, no matter how right we may think we are.  

Certainly those lines should not even be approached by someone trying to argue the moral high ground.

Yes we live in a free society protected by the First Amendment.  Yes in these United States you have a right to say just about anything you want.

Just because you have that right, does not make what you say right.

When you attempt to question the ethical acts of others, your own acts must be beyond question.

Shouldn't they be?

13 comments:

  1. Can we all please remember the people who are getting lost in all the rhetoric - the folks that will actually be living beneath the two 400' turbines - not Mr. Devlin, not Beth David, not Murphy, Silvia, Osuch or Bowcock and certainly not Gordon Deane. They deserve some focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's also keep in mind another important and timely side to this turbine issue that is raised by FairAction Fairhaven. Sinovel turbines have stolen U.S. technology. Mr. Roderiques, you've been pretty observant around most of this turbine discussion but haven't said a word about this one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you asked for a observation I will give you one. It will have to wait until this evening or tomorrow however. Until then.

      Delete
    2. It does appear from everything I have heard and read on the issue that Sinovel has done what has been alleged.

      Why haven't I said a word about this one yet?

      Simply because it does not affect whether there are grounds to terminate the contract.

      We can discuss the morality,the ethics, the legality of this company's actions all you want, but it does not alter the realities of the contract, at least from what I can see.

      I assume there must be someone out there who thinks otherwise, and I am more than happy to listen to the explanation as to how this would enable us to terminate the contract without facing our own lawsuit from the developer.

      I had intended to say a bit more on this, but devoting to much time would detract from the real issues in Fairhaven's turbine debate.

      Delete
    3. Nice way to bury the importance of this problem. Yes, let's get back to the "real issues", like slamming Windwise some more and discussing Nazis. Like you said,opinion and "fluff".

      Delete
    4. First off, Jeff Osuch and the Selectboard should be telling Fairhaven why they think we are OK to proceed with the contract knowing what we now know.

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. Sorry, but because you think something is important doesn't mean it is to me.

      Unless you actually can show to me how the Sinovel patent infringement case is legally relevant to terminating the Fairhaven turbines contract/lease, the use of this matter by you and everyone else is a red herring as far as I am concerned.

      Separate from the turbines are the moves from Windwise and others to "reform" town government.

      These are two separate and distinct matters for me.

      If you don't see that, you don't see that. But I am entitled to my opinions just as much as you are.

      As far as the discussion about "Nazis" well that raises a whole host of matters. I have had my say on it. You are free to feel how you wish. So long as someone out there keeps raising it, I will when appropriate in my mind address it.

      If there is too much fluff in this blog for you, feel free to stop reading it.

      Delete
    7. Blogger's Note: Original reply was deleted in error, it appears above.

      Delete
  3. John, I believe some who may speak at next week's forum are folks from Falmouth who currently live in close proximity to the turbines and are experiencing ill effects. They may not qualify as "experts" in your opinion but they certainly do in mine. Even if you are in complete disagreement with Windwise, it would be bullheaded not to attend and to learn more from their experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then call me bullheaded.

      From the Windwise Fairhaven facebook page:

      After some changes Windwise-Fairhaven will hold a Town meeting style forum with special guest Eleanor Tillinghast. The panel will be there to answer questions from the audience about the health issues, financial issues, and any others you may still have. This forum will be at the VFW in Fairhaven Feb 7th at 7pm. Please join us! Again for any of you who have seen our previous flyers the original date of February 2nd has been changed to February 7th!

      Is it bullheaded to want to know who the panel is? Is it bullheaded to expect that the panel should actually be qualified to give answers to those questions?

      You comment is a classic deflection technique.

      I want to know who is going to speak at this "forum" besides the "special guest".

      Bullheaded is an interesting term to use on this issue. In my opinion there are way too many people suffering from that ailment.

      Delete
    2. Eleanor Tillinghast actually sounds interesting to me. I think I'd enjoy hearing her speak on some of her environmental positions - she really seems to know her stuff. She even has an interesting stance on energy policy. But knowing she's pretty openly anti-turbine sort of spoils it for me.

      I'm farily certain I would not learn anything else at the Windwise meeting. And I'm sure I'd have a headache by the time it let out. Of course, I'm assuming they would erupt into unruly screaming matches. Unless that's only at the public meetings where that happens... Ehh, I don't care to find out.

      Delete
  4. What IS "the importance of this problem", exactly?

    A few weeks ago, I began hearing people complaining that the turbine was Chinese-made. I pointed out that not only were a majority of their material household goods partly or completely made in China, but so is A LOT of the energy everyone in the US utilizes or benefits from. Oh yeah, they also own a crap ton of our national debt. This is undeniable fact.

    So the REAL issue is that they stole turbine technology? Cripes, they have stolen military technology from us!! I am waaaaay more pissed about that! Are you also upset that they bootleg TVs, other electronics, and technology? How many of those items might you own?

    Where should we start being mad? At the turbine? At the toaster? At the federal government for creating debt? Come on!

    The point is, this discussion of "Chinese-made" or "stolen technology" should be discussed in a different forum. It truly has no relevance in the discussion of a vote to break a contract.

    I will be sure to point out, that Vestas was a company that invested in this country. They did have manufacturing centers and employees in the US. Of course, the Vestas turbines destined for Fairhaven were not delivered. I'm pretty darned sure that I never heard rallying around 'MERICA! and US-made products back then.

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.