Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Monday's Mishmash

One week from today.  At about 8:20 P.M. on April 2, 2012 we will have one new: selectman, board of health member, at least one new school committee member, and who knows ...

Then the fun begins for everyone.

In the meantime we still have seven days to count off, one more candidates' forum, numerous facebook postings, a number of letters to the papers, some blog rantings, a lot of sign holding, a few gallons of coffee, several double gulps of Dr. Pepper, and more than likely a push by some to finalize a number of things prior to the change of the guard.

It has been an interesting weekend in many ways.   Been seeing and reading some "interesting" stuff on line.   Have had a few interesting conversations.

One of the hardest things to do when you write a blog, at least from my still limited experience, is resisting the temptation to actually write what you just want too.  Sure, that can be the whole point of this exercise.  After all, why write if you can't say what is on your mind.

Of course I could, and if the simple reasoning behind this was to just put all my thoughts into print, as seems the apparent rationale of some, no matter how lofty their or its goals, well we could all be wrapped up into one heck of an online back and forth rant.

But I always try and keep several things in the back of my mind each time I review a piece before hitting the publish button.

The first is to always remember once it goes out there, it is there.  sure I can delete it at some point, change my mind and erase it from the blog postings, but once it has been seen,  the cat is out of the bag.  I need to be sure I want to let that cat out.

Another is to remember just how big your audience truly is.  I have no illusions on that one.  Heck the analytics program they give you with these these things helps you figure out just that, often in very humbling detail.

The third is just what sought of lasting impact do you want to make.  The problem with throwing out words is the unintended effect.  Life is a marathon ladies and gentlemen, it is not a sprint.  If you want to finish that race, it does you no good to leap from the starting blocks at a sprinter's pace.

You need a strategy for the whole race, not just the first mile or even just for the first 1/2.  Same thing applies to your statements and arguments.  Might get you a lead, might give the appearance of knowing what you are talking about, but the true test isn't the initial reaction, it is how good does your argument or statement sound after it has been challenged.  In an endurance race folks, you need stamina.

There are obviously competing philosophies on this.  Some people it seems like to throw things out, wrapped in the cloak of some high sounding principle.  No doubt is works for some.  Just as more often than not, once the shroud in which such statements and arguments are wrapped is peeled back just a bit, it is soon discovered that what we have really been hearing has more to do with form versus substance.

People have accused my writings of being essentially smoke and mirrors.  Heck there is a lot of smoke in them, along with more than a few mirrors.  I would like to think the smoke is there not to hide, but to make things a bit more challenging.  From speaking with some of you, it is apparent that the smoke is not so thick as to hide the intent.

As far as mirrors, well the mirrors which may be placed are there for both you and me, to take a long hard look at what we see in them. The reflection is not necessarily meant to be solely of ourselves,  think the "Mirror of Erised" concept.  I know, what the heck am I doing using a J.K. Rowlings reference.  I say why not, if appropriate.

What is getting lost in a lot of the smoke floating around town right now is the reasoning some will be choosing candidates.  What many see in that mirror is not a true reflection of what is, nor of what should be, but rather what they want.

I have to this point stayed out of the fray to the extent I have tried to avoid naming names, and have not offered endorsements (be it directly or by calling out other candidates by name).  Heck, not sure I would want to make an endorsement. As I tell most people who ask if I will do so, I have as much chance of hurting a candidate as helping them.

Yet, bit by bit, it seems others feel compelled to try and force the issue.  As I always say, be careful what you wish for, you may just get it.  But for the moment, this is as much of the bait I am going to take.

Occasionally the mood does strike me to go tit for tat; however, the challenge has to be worth the effort, and quite frankly, it just isn't there at the moment.  Every dog does in fact have his day.  I am content to wait for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.