Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Odds, Ends, and Stuff In Between

Well, seems like a bit of controversy is good for ratings.  With the posts for the last two days, along with (and I am sure primarily because of) the comments, the blog set new highs yesterday for page views, visits in one day, new visits and unique visitors in one day.  It was an interesting day from an analytics point of view and otherwise.

It would be extremely hard to top that kind of day just talking about Fairhaven.  Probably could do it with a few choice comments, but why ruin people's weekend, mine included.  

Yet I suppose I can't totally ignore the forum on Wednesday; and, neither can I totally ignore everything said that night, and yesterday across the web.  Let's start with the forum.  

I have heard from a number of people about how one sided the questions were, how unfair to some candidates, how the process stunk, etc., etc., etc. What seems like an eternity ago, I made the statement that 
I have been hearing a lot lately about fairness as it relates to politics.  This is any easy fairness topic to deal with. There is absolutely nothing fair about politics.  Never has been, and probably never will be. Politics is the original blood sport.
Nothing has changed since then, either nationally or on the local level, and unfortunately probably won't (not in the political arena).  Politics is nasty.  It is nasty on both sides.  

The fundamental flaw with Wednesday's forum was allowing anonymous questions.  I have heard that names on the questions were required, or may have been required.  Whether it was optional or mandatory, the fact that there wasn't a name to go with the questions just creates the wrong perception.

As you have read numerous times, I am not a big fan of anonymous anything.  I understand the reasoning for submitting questions in advance.  Too many people willing to go off if given the opportunity to ask anything they want.  

But questions should have a name to them.  Sorry, that is how I feel.

There were a few other quirks, but in the end, the how, what, where and when is in the discretion of the group holding the forum.  Anyone walking into that forum, not expecting questions of the nature that were asked really needs to assess what they are getting themselves into and whether they are up to it.

Outside of that, and assuming people would have actually asked the questions that were asked if they had to identify themselves, and I know a few people who did submit questions, and what they submitted, I am pretty sure most of those exact same questions would have been asked by people. Quite frankly I have to say there weren't any questions that were out of bounds in my opinion.

Let me qualify that to the extent that one of the questions was directed at the wrong candidate.

Speaking of wrong candidates, I want to address a topic that seems to be growing legs on its own.  Specifically, that this blog and certain other activities by yours truly are being conducted with the intent of running for selectman in 2013.  Let us put that one to bed right now.

I have absolutely no intention of running for selectman in 2013.  Nothing further need be said on the matter, because I can envision no set of circumstances that would change my mind about that.  I want this to be clear, because there are no political ambitions fueling what gets said here and elsewhere.

While one never should say never, right now it feels like the sun is well past noon on my involvement in politics as a candidate, and for that matter continuing public service.  Admittedly I realize some of you may not consider it much of a service.  At times I question the value of the same myself.

But it is in that personal realization, it is from that involvement, it is from the understanding of just how daunting the "process" can be that I do indeed embrace the concept of change.

Many of those presently raising the issues of lack of transparency and fair and open government consider me an insider.  It has been noted by some that I hold political power (not really sure how that is, because from my way of thinking if I truly did, I wouldn't be pulling out my hair in frustration at this time of the year).

For someone supposedly on the inside, let me tell you that from a personal perspective I more often than not feel like I am on the outside looking in.  I am not considered a team player; I am arrogant; I think I run the town. Just a few of the statements made about me which I have heard directly or through what I consider very reliable sources, coming from the other "insiders".

I run into that same brick wall many of you feel you do. I often have to jump through way too many hoops to get information.  I very often realize, and indeed just as often proceed under the assumption, that I am provided information which people want me to know and not all of what I should have.

I learned very early on in my "public" life the true value of the concept of "trust but verify".  The unfortunate reality is there are only so many hours in a day that I have, or for that matter any other person who has decided to take the easy route and serve as an appointed official has.  

Another concept I learned early on is the fact that when you do run into a brick wall, you have to remember your ultimate goal.  Too often we all get tunnel vision and decide we are going to go through that wall, no matter what it takes.  Time and effort are expended trying to tear that wall down.  The toil can be tremendous, discouraging and for some enough to simply give up.

That tunnel vision often blinds us to the alternate solutions.  One being simply tunnel under the wall.  When the obstacle is of such a nature that its removal will prove too treacherous or arduous, you need to find a way to neutralize the effect of the obstacle.

If you keep your focus on the true goal, you will often find that the tools to accomplish it are usually right in front of you.  Whoever built that brick wall usually leaves the shovel leaning against it for you to dig the tunnel under it.

Make no mistake about it, we are in very treacherous waters right now and the journey will be arduous.    As important an issue as the winder turbines is, the looming budget is even more so.  Our town has reached the point where very hard decisions are going to have to be made (I know, sounds like a broken record.  which in itself is part of the problem, but unfortunately seems to be very true right now).

In making decisions for the upcoming year, we will be deciding town operations for a number of years to come.  I will be completely upfront with you and state that I personally have a substantially different philosophy as to what should be done than some.  In fact I have no doubt that starting today, and over the time between today and town meeting you will hear the gossip and more likely than not the public criticism of how this writer is leading the town to financial ruin, if not in fact by actual statements  then certainly by innuendo.

That is fine with me.  If that is what it takes to get things out in the open, then I am all for it.  If my assumptions are wrong than I am more than happy to have them proved so.

I have bitten my tongue for a long time on a great many things.  Not in an attempt to keep secrets or mislead.  Rather out of the decision that at times some things just are better off left unsaid.  As critical and blunt as some may think I am at times, what I have to say has always been measured and stated with a purpose.

I am not afraid to detail to anyone who asks exactly what my decisions are been based on.  

Let me also state this, I am fully aware of the ramifications of the proposals I intend to make.  No matter how many times I may be told that I don't understand, I do.

Simply put, there is no disagreement that the town cannot afford to continue to fund everything it does and also provide the same level of services it does, and in some cases it cannot continue to provide all of the services its does.

We all talk of priorities, of the future, of doing as many things as possible.  For me, when you have to cut into what I consider core services, to maintain what I consider desirable but non-essential services, the decision is clear.  I believe in doing what you can for as long as you can to maintain a minimally acceptable level of services that people have become accustomed to.

But you reach a point where making further cuts to what you need does not make sense when you are funding things you want, in addition to what you actually need.

Something has to give when cutting funding for essential services in fact jeopardizes, if not falls below the threshold of minimally acceptable, simply to maintain what is not essential.

All I can do as an individual is look at the information I am provided initially and that obtained after asking for it, research the issues the best that I can, listen to arguments, ask questions and check out the answers and then base my personal decisions on that.

I have been debating for weeks over how much discussion on the budget would make its way into this blog.  I am coming to the conclusion, in fact have reached the decision that in the coming weeks you will see some detailed discussion on the budget, and on articles (yes even articles other than the ones which have been previously discussed).

I know this particular post has really morphed, but if you think about it everything does tie in.

The people running for office, the ones elected, are going to be thrown into the lion's den from the start.  They are going to face immediate issues that are difficult, that that require their immediate attention.

We may very well see different selectmen recommendations made on town meeting from the stage than those made and listed in the selectman's column of the finance committee booklet.  Is this a certainty, no. If things go the way at Center Street that present indicators would suggest, while it is not a certainty, I darn well hope it becomes a reality.

Whoever is elected is going to be thrust into a position all most immediately where the budget becomes the primary focus.

There is an old saying if something isn't  broken, why try and fix it.  I am not to the point yet that I would say government in our town is broken, but it is in serious need of a thorough maintenance overhaul that if not done will soon result in a breakdown.

Change is in fact coming, whether people want it or not.  We all have three choices. Get steam rolled over by it, step aside, or embrace it and become part of a workable solution.

1 comment:

  1. I have one short comment: even if you were harboring intentions to run for office down the road, so what? I like to think we live in an approximation of a democracy so even someone who writes a blog can choose to run for office.

    I'll say it out loud again: So What?!

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.