Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Post Apocalypse - Wednesday's Forum

Well I went, I saw and ... well I think you all need to really watch the taped broadcast of the Wednesday night forum for candidates.  even I was surprised at some of the questions, responses, not to mention some of the speeches.  

West Island is going to to be very interesting next week when the final forum is held.

If you are wondering, yes several candidates did indeed shoot themselves in the foot.  If you want the who said what, you will need to watch for yourself.  Should be pretty clear who left the forum limping.

Pay very close attention to what was said during the speeches.  Pay particular attention to answers to questions.  

After listening to the candidates, I can tell you there has occurred a big shift in momentum in some of the races, at least there should be after people watch this forum.  

As to the questions asked last night, I am sure we will all be seeing comments on the social media sights and elsewhere about the nature and exact questions asked.  You really need to watch the forum to judge for yourself.  More importantly, you need to judge for yourself the answers.
IMPORTANT NOTE:  Essentially the portion this blog piece appearing appearing above and below this "Note" was written last night right after the forum.  I had intended to work on it some more this morning but ...
I received a message from someone, and a request to publish a comment related to the forum but tied to an earlier post.  The statements in the comment are significant and noteworthy.  I have asked for verification, and also suggested the comment be resent and tied to this particular post.  The verification is because the comment contains quoted language that I have no way to verify independently.   The suggestion to post the comment as part of this particular post is because the statements in the comment are indeed significant and noteworthy.  Since the same is tied directly to last night's forum, I felt the comment should be made with this particular piece to make sure it is not missed as part of the discussion. 
I have inserted this note at this point because the comment directly concerns the Q & A portion of one of the races.  My recommendation that you need to watch the forum yourself still holds true, with the additional caveat that the comment should be given strong consideration in judging that portion of the event for the particular race.  I will in fact deal with this in more detail after events play out a bit more.
I note I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the comment in the form submitted, but in the end I am a CYA type of person, and despite what many people think, the concepts of defamation/libel are alive and well on the Internet, and good faith belief is not a defense nor quite honestly a justification for too much that all ready gets put out over the world wide web. 
PAWF cont.

I realize some of you may want me to be a heck of a lot more specific than I am going to be here.  You may even feel I am playing dodge ball like some of the candidates did last night.  And that is what happened on occasion.  

While a few candidates got in some solid hits, even a few home runs, others were playing an entirely different game when fielding questions.  I really want you to watch this forum, and pay close attention to what was said, by everyone.  

I am going to be catching the replay myself, just to make sure what I thought I heard said, actually was said.  I am all for self-promotion by candidates.  I understand the goal is to get elected.  But there were a few comments made that caused me to shake my head.  There were a few answers that had the same effect.

I am having some difficulty writing this piece.  A part of me wants to come out and make some pretty solid statements.  Not necessarily on all of the points you might think either.  I got, let's say mildly miffed, about some things said in the opening statement segment.  

But I think if you watch the forum for yourself, you will probably come to the same conclusions.

It is very tempting to simply take was said and rip it apart.  Tempting and easy.  But not productive, at least not the way I look at the concept of productivity.

One conclusion, for me anyway, is that shot in the foot for some will be fatal. 

I left the forum pretty convinced with an opinion on who should win.  Whether those candidates actually do is of course still dependent on the voters.  That's why we actually hold the elections, isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. In the interest of doing what is right, I have actually cut and pasted from yesterdays post a chain of comments and replies to put here.

    2 comments:

    DawnMar 21, 2012 09:46 PM
    From Beth David after interrogating Barbara tonight about how she feels having Curt and Dawn Devlin pay for an ad for her when Curt talks about Nazis (which he does not do)


    " mixed up the checks. The check you gave me was for Espindola/McKenna, not Acksen. I am so horrified. I don't know what to do to make up for it. I will call Barbara tomorrow, I will run a huge ad in my paper apologizing, but I don't know if there is any way to change it on the broadcast."

    The question came from the public and I just didn't remember it. I went back tonight to make a copy of the emails to put in with the records I have to keep for a year. That's when I realized it was McKenna, not Acksen.

    I don't have an email address for Barbara or I would CC her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    John R. RoderiquesMar 22, 2012 05:40 AM
    I am adding this reply to the above because it should be out there. Mistakes were made, and need to be acknowledged. This e-mail appears here with permission.

    From Beth David:

    Yes it is true. I totally screwed up. I'm horrified. I just spoke with Barbara, who is being very gracious about it. She said that Dawn and Curt did pay for something for the campain, so when the question came up, that's what she was thinking about. In my mind, when the question came up, I was thinking about the Devlin check for Espindola-McKenna.

    All I can say is, sometimes, a person has to stand up and take a punch for something stupid she does. This is my turn to stand up and take the punch. I will run an ad apologizing to Barbara in this week's issue, I will address it in my editorial, and I will go to the West Island candidate's night and make a statement about it on camera. Normally, I wouldn't do that, because the newspaper should not "be" the news participate in those kinds of events, however, I believe the two audiences (government access and my readers) may be two different groups and I feel an obligation to set the record straight with the cable viewers.

    If you know of any other way to make it up to Ms. Acksen, let me know. As I said, she is taking it in stride.

    Thanks for checking with me.

    bd


    Beth David, Publisher/Editor
    Fairhaven Neighborhood News, LLC
    166 Dogwood St.
    Fairhaven, MA 02719

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.