Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Meandering Down the Road

Where to start today.  It shouldn't be all that hard to come up with something topical.  We have a bunch of stuff going on locally, state wide and nationally, right?

Locally, parents of students at Oxford, along with many others, are waiting for the results from the first post finding air quality test.  It is a matter for all to be concerned about.  again, I think we need to wait and see what the results show.

Someone asked me how is it that I don't allow foul language on the blog, yet  I am willing to accept the same in a book recommended for 8th graders.  Good question really.

I suppose it boils down to in the first instance simply a personal desire to insure civil, coherent, and thoughtful discourse in a forum such as this.  Profanity does offend. That is what it is intended to do. It jolts and attacks the reader/listeners sensibilities and presumably is used to provide a certain realism to the story or scene.  

The "greatest writers in some of the greatest literary works of all time" have used it (by the way, I do not included the book in controversy or its writer in that "greatest" category).  

In some cases it works, and I would even say is even necessary.  In other cases, it is in fact simply gratuitous.  In all cases, it is in the end the decision of the reader to decide.  

In a public forum, in my mind, it never adds anything positive to a discussion or debate.  It in fact tends to distract from the substance of the issue (which it also admittedly can from the intent of a story).  

It is the different situations that is the real key I think. 

Someone asked me to go into more detail about Monday's meeting of the Selectmen regarding the properties on Alden Road and and the business condo on Arsne Street.  I suggested watch the video and they contact the three selectmen for further explanation, because other than what I wrote yesterday, I don't have a clue as to what is going through some of their minds at this point.

On the proposed plan for additional solar, I was asked by several people if in fact Town Meeting could be by-passed.  The simple answer is in fact yes. I was also asked would that happen.  The answer to that was two fold.  First, based on what I saw I couldn't tell you.  Secondly, whether it would happen depends solely on the selectmen.  So get in touch with them.

And in answer to the how, here is the link to the board's info page.

And for all of you who feel as I do on the never ending story about the Academy Building, who continue to tell me you do, please use the link for that purpose also. I have to leave that one alone today, or I am going to break my own rule.

On the lighter side, anyone else see the Google Maps street view car driving around town yesterday.  I was waiting for the light at Main and Howland Road as it turned off of Main onto Howland heading to New Bedford.  

Hey, keep in mind the Our Lady of the Angels Feast this weekend.  It starts at 5:00 P.M. Saturday, and is open on Sunday and Monday.  Great little Portuguese celebration.  As of right now, we have a great weather forecast.  So after your holiday weekend parties and plans, think about stopping by.





6 comments:

  1. The use of profane language is often, unfortunately, the norm today. Used in many situations and locations we find ourselves in, in our daily lives. Now days, even our politicians use it.
    While I consider myself to be a diehard optimist, I try to convince myself each day that things don't have to be 'the way they are.' And while I can't 'save the world,' I can do what I am able to do- save my own little corner of it. Even when it only extends to my front yard.
    I can't convince H.M.S. to remove a book from their recommended reading list. And perhaps as you, John, suggested, parents don't have the right to suggest titles for the list.
    But I certainly can shed light to others about what our esteemed educators are 'recommending' to children. I appreciate it when parents whose values I trust do the same.
    And while I think I know who originally put the 'title in question' on the list, I can only hold the principal responsible for consciously continuing the tradition, because he told my that he put final validation to the list this year. I have asked every H.M.S. ELA teacher if they agreed with the recommendation, and I received no responses.
    The first half of 'this book' spews with vile language. And it isn't relevant to the character's ethnic strugggle.
    Not everye who has a challenge in their life uses foul language. And when we hear someone swear, we can't conclude they are in a life-challenging situation. There are too many reasons why people use it, and also why society has come to accept it. But for someone in a supposedly respected position to recommend it, is out-right disappointing, to say the least.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."-Mahatma Gandhi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My intent was not to state or imply that parents do not have a right to suggest, nor to state or imply parents do not have a right for input.

      If that is how it came across, my apologies.

      I do believe that so long as choices are given, no list can be all inclussive; and, decisions regarding what should or should not be on the list should not have to be the result of unanimous decisions from any group.

      Delete
    2. I wanted to know if the choices on the list were approved unanimously, because if they weren't, then I think Mr. Miller has done a disservice to the ELA teachers, by representing them as supportive of a recommendation of a book that's over-loaded with foul language. I wish the vote was reported, like a vote on a motion, so everyone could know. If I was an ELA teacher, I would be cringing to think my name was associated with 'that' selection. It might be impossible to have a committee select 24 titles unanimously, but at least let the members openly state if they opposed any particular selections.

      Delete
  2. It is my hope that what will come of this issue is that the Middle School Administration truly adhering to the introduction of the core values: "Hastings Middle School, working in partnership with students, parents, staff and the community;".Parents who have long volunteered at the elementary schools are left frustrated when they are not welcome in the middle school. The school department begs for parental involvement then tries to claim that at the age of 11-14 the students don't want their parents around. I beg to differ. As the sole full time stay at home mother in my neighborhood I have the daily pleasure of interacting with nearly a dozen of those boys and girls because they choose to be at my house where there is supervision,along with lemonade and cookies, instead of in their homes where unattended kids can find all sorts of trouble to get into while the parents are at work.
    In this particular situation, I would suggest that the middle school adopt the same method of presenting the suggested summer reading that is used at FHS. The list is sent home at least a month before the school year ends and it contains a description of the plots and themes of the books, (in the case of this particular book perhaps there should also be a parental guidance warning)so that the parent and child can choose together and then a slip is returned to the school with the title chosen and the signatures of the student and the parent.If the slip is not returned by the last day of school, then a book should be assigned by the student's teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do wish that HMS would allow parents to be more involved in the school. I think it would cut down on bullying, by both students and staff and create a more positive learning environment. The kids feel like they are in jail and things need to lighten up. I agree with the High School's method of the summer reading program, so there can be a more educated choice for the books that are chosen for the children to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I recall, the high school reading list did not contain 24 books. Although I like the way it is offered, I would still like more more than one month, if the list remains at 24, to review the selections, before choosing. I was taken completely off guard by the Hastings 'recommendation.' You can't judge a book by it's cover, (or summary, or back cover, or flicking through the pages.) Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

      Delete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.