Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Bad Poetry

I don't have much time this morning, which is probably considered a good thing by a good many people.  with the holiday weekend I am doubtful that I will be doing any writing this weekend either, although you might see a piece tomorrow.

Whatever the case, remember the town election is Monday. Spread the word, remind everyone.  It is on Monday, not Tuesday.  I hear that excuse from at least a half dozen people each year.  "I thought it was Tuesday".  Voting hours are from 10 A.M. to 8 P.M. 

What is going to happen?  Your guess is as good as mine.  If you could tie overall sentiment into the mix in predicting voter turnout, it would be pretty easy I think to call the election.  But you can't.  

In my opinion I am guess turnout somewhere in the 18% range.    I honestly have to say there is a big part of me that thinks I may be guessing too high.  The rest of me sincerely hopes it is too low.  

Not much anyone can do at this point to change the results on that.  If they are interested, they will be going to the polls.

I had an elected official comment to be before the start of the West Island Improvement Association candidate's night that people are starting to equate myself and this blog to a certain public access show that use to run and its host. Of course no names provided, but I don't doubt there are some who do.

I am not defending myself here.  I feel no need.  

I do want to point out that anyone who feels they disagree with me has the opportunity to respond to anything written here.  A bit of distinction I would think with the compared forum.  

People have a right top their opinions.  I for one do not personally agree with the sentiments expressed in the comment that started the recent "turmoil"  That doesn't mean I didn't find it interesting or worth considering, nor does it mean that writer's observations and comments should be stifled.  

I have listened to numerous statements/accusations/attacks or whatever about my "service", my "motives", my "integrity" over the years.  Indeed just this past Monday night I listened to a number of things and over the last several days have read about the same in the newspapers.

I have really been much more amused than upset at what has transpired.  Quite frankly the above comparison bothers me more than anything said Monday night.  

In the brutally and  honest opinion category, I know a setup when I see one.  Monday night was a setup.  So be it.  Is it going to change anything from my perspective, no.

Folks, expressions of righteous indignation by elected officials over criticisms are always at the very best amusing.  Nonsensical suggestions of sanctions, policies and prohibitions while even more amusing, are nonetheless disturbing.

What was done Monday should really be upsetting to the public at large.  I accept your right to appear before the Board of Selectmen to air your grievances.  

Indeed you were a very fortunate pair, as you seem to have found a way to do so that has alluded so many others.  

If one follows the attempt at logic seemingly used, public officials are not allowed to express critical opinions about other public officials, no matter what the forum.  So, was what transpired Monday night any less offensive than what was complained about?

Attempts to stifle free speech because it violates one's personal opinion, or makes you look bad, or is in opposition to your opinion are more damning and dangerous to society than any complaint aired. The fact that it even happened, and the fact that other elected officials spoke about policies, even in a spur of the moment thought, should be very disturbing.

To paraphrase the great bard, methinks they do protest too much, and for all the wrong reasons.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle FurtadoFriday, March 29, 2013

    The critical commentary about this blog should stop. I have to believe that what was complained about at the Selectmens' meeting was not new. Peoples' motives or actions that have been presented here, are the same ones that have been questioned over backyard fences and in store parking lots among friends. People want to know where their money goes, and why. And the only way they can know that is to be informed.
    Oddly, sometimes it takes a 'negative' question to find a positive answer- Why 'doesn't' this get done? Because that 'does.' We're not always complaining about it, just wondering.
    This blog has been educational for me, as I don't know everything about the who, what, where, and why around town. The comments along with the post have opened my eyes, to what's going on, not only who's behind it. Even opinions opposite to mine have made me think.
    Maybe if the people who complained had posted a comment we all would have learned something.
    I do have no idea why the selectman entertained them at the meeting, that's where the problem lay. I wrote to the selectmen, twice, about a situation that I felt was noteworthy, and they didn't give the subject time at their meeting.
    Let people take this for what it is- a public forum for all to participate. And be thankful for the recognition during a meeting because not all issues make get that attention.

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.