Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

V is for?

This very easily could have been a one word post.

However, since brevity has not often been a hallmark for selectmen's meetings, and despite promises to make it so, is destined to be remain the exception rather than the rule ...

Some observations relative to the BOS meeting, mainly as it applied to the BPW:

This was one of those meetings where I wish I were up to speed on tweeting. Seriously, the potential for the live feed was way up there.

Hats off to some of the BPW member points, note the word some because if you watch the tape and are aware of what has transpired in the not to distant past, you will see and hear for yourself how one member's take was note even remotely appropriate.

The concept that one should not be voted onto the BPW because one lost an election for a different race, say the BOS, might be a reason not to appointment him to the BOS. However if losing an election for the BOS is statement of the public speaking about not sitting on any other board, well that kind of disqualified someone else too.

Raising the issue about having been on the committee which attempted to abolish the BPW was something that needed to be addressed.

The tap dance about why someone who voted to get rid of a board as it is should be appointed to that board, arguing that the someone wasn't really getting rid of the board as is, well it would have been quaint if it hadn't been so well worn. 

I suppose you can argue it is still the same dog once you have it neutered, right.

Let's talk about experience. I am guessing the BPW members who spoke hoping for experience were looking for practical rather than the ivory tower.  Well all but one anyway. 

Another excellent point was the issue of stability, and there was another tap dance about stability. 

Trust me when I say, stepping stone was, is and will be on everyone's mind. It certainly wasn't dispelled by the simple inability to commit to a run for BPW seat next April. Yes, everyone is knows it is impossible to know what may come next May (more appropriately April).

I for one could have understood the statement, my present intention is to run but ultimately I will base my decision on this little test drive.  

The fact that most in the room and a few out in TV land are aware of the yes I am, no I am not running again position of our current BOS chair, coupled with the clear political ambition of some in the room, gave the concept of stability was extreme validity.  The former selectmen was responsive and to the point in his answer. The wannabe selectmen, not sure where that play is in any playbook, but evasive doesn't work.

Now I am not sure everyone caught all the innuendo in some of the comments. Some of the stuff was as blatant as could be though

Best question of the day, when the BOS was asked whether they had made their decision (individually of course) prior to the meeting.

Our chairman did the best tap dance of the night. If the birdies chirping out in rumor land are half correct, and those birdies usually are at least that, it may in fact be that the decision who to vote for was not made, but there was absolutely a decision on who note to vote for. Of course if the chirping birdies are correct, one could ask why he was even in the seat making a decision, but that is for another day perhaps.

At least the other two were honest and said heck yeah.

Let's also award the "are you serious" head scratch prize to the four year commitment comment at the end by the one candidate with no support.  After that comment, no wonder no one motioned him.

Oh wait, there was the platitude that could have, shall we say, been phoned in for all it was worth made by the sole BPW member expressing a rather zealous position. Not so sure that was as much for him as against one of the other guys. 

In the end the Board appointed the "newcomer".  Let's be clear, his professional background most certainly will be a plus.  An understanding of what is involved in the workings of the BPW.  

And as much as I tend to disregard the ivory tower, I will say this, it will be very interesting next year if someone has an itch to go after the present chairman's seat. 

I am going to leave the whole Oxford School thingy alone today.  That received a whole lot of attention. Watching the end of that meeting last night just highlights the baffling mentality out there about what the town owes to anyone.

Someone also might want to remind those sitting at the table that the microphones are on (would have been perfect to tweet "Did you hear that?").

Anyway, Be Safe.

5 comments:

  1. Let's be transparent here.. I can't imagine NO ONE has their mind made up by the time an election or vote in is required.. You , my dear blogger has said that in the past.. it's quite a few times "popularity vote". When a past member of any board continues to call in his favor to promise not to run against you the following year, the background noise certainly can get a little too loud. It nauseating. The new guy may not have the experience, as of yet, but he shouldn't be ruled out. As we all know, the chirping birds are always chirping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do want to make it clear that I have no problem with the appointee personally. He does have credentials as I noted. By having been an applicant he has done the town a great service, if for no other reason by providing a viable alternative. Nothing in the piece should be taken as a negative to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's be transparent here. I didn't "call in any favors". I emailed or called all three selectman like every other person did. I asked for their support if I was to pursue the position which I previously held and had 1 year left on my term when elected selectman.
    I was directly asked (and asked again on camera Monday night) if I was appointed to this position what would I do next April? I was clear in my answer, If appointed I would run for the Public Works seat next April.
    My intentions are pure, I enjoy being involved in town politics. Politics takes time from your family, your job and your personal time but if you enjoy it like I do, you make sacrifices to do what you enjoy!
    I don't have alteruer motives. It's simple with me, I get involved, I give back, I do what I think is right not necessarily popular.I don't pretend to be perfect or think I know it all. I just want to see things done fairly, people treated right and common sense used to make decisions.
    I was asked by BPW board members to consider coming back. I thought it over and decided it was the right place for me for now. I could continue to be involved and give back on a board I had served on for 5 years and knew and understood.
    To be clear one selectman told me he supported me going to the BPW, one selectman told me the thought it to be a good fit for me but he wanted to hear from BPW board members and one selectman never responded to me.
    At the end of the day anyone of the three of us who wanted the position would be able to do the job. The difference is 2 out of 3 didn't run for any public office this past election and if they wanted to be on the BPW could have taken out papers and ran for the seat. When I ran for selectman and wasn't successful, I wanted to continue my public service and decided to pursue the open seat that I held prior to being a selectman. I know and like the gentleman who was appointed. I have no doubt he will learn the position and fit right in.

    The BPW is a board of 5 with one member gone 4 months of the year to Florida not even in Fairhaven. So for 1/3 of the year the board is missing a voting member. It's a board with a lot of responsibility that needs committed people here in town. I'm sure the new appointee will be committed and I know I would have been.

    At the end of the day it's all Fairhaven politics and that is what I'm trying to change...It should be what's best for Fairhaven not what's best for you or your buddies...At least one of our current Selectmen gets that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like BPW thinks they are running NASA or something similar to it.Prior boards usually had someone connected to local construction companies in the fold, this kept DPW projects with local companies.Lets also clear up the misnomer that board members need certain credentials to be considered.All it takes is a name on a ballot and the luck of the vote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are running for office, sure all its takes is a name on a ballot and luck of the vote. Despite that, I do think the public deserves a bit more when there is an interim appointment. I understand not much more has been considered on some, and note some not all, prior appointments to fill elected vacancies. So let's be clear, because you only have to be a warm body to be appointed, that shouldn't be the only thing considered.

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.