Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Necessary Leap

I opened the backdoor this morning, stuck my head out to take a peak before letting the dogs out.  Didn't want them running out the door and straight off the cliff.  Seems there isn't a need to worry, at least until sometime in February.  

With New Year's Day behind us, we head right into the new year full of ?????  That is a rhetorical question folks.  I have a pretty good idea what many of you think the answer to that one is as it pertains specifically to me.  I have a pretty solid opinion myself as that answer pertains to a much broader sampling.

Locally, the next two weeks should see some action on the DOR report and Town government.  A number of meetings scheduled and to be scheduled to deal with the matter.

On this one, I do have a true question for you:  Do you think Fairhaven needs a strong town manager/administrator type government?  

Because another community does something is not a per se reason for us to do it also (i.e. if your buddy runs off a cliff you going to do it to.  Remember that one?). 

However when you are in fact the only member of your "class" deciding to head down one path, when everyone else has decided to go another route, at a minimum you need to be looking very carefully at whether you are in fact heading in the right direction.

Can we get to where we need to be with just a bit of tweaking?  I for one doubt it. Nonetheless, I do want to hear from anyone willing to share a contrary opinion on the matter.  

Still haven't had anyone come forward publicly on the recommendation for the elimination of the Board of Public Works.  I still believe that matter and the Town manager concept are the two paramount questions for the up coming election, even for a candidate running for BPW.  Justify the need for the existence of the Board.

I haven't really jumped up and down embracing the concept myself.  This is because, as I have noted, absent a strong town administrator position, I would have a hard time embracing the recommendation, which was made specifically with the idea of a strong town manager.  

It is certainly an individual point of view, but it seems to me that moving forward we need to determine first whether we will be pursuing the primary recommendation or not.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.