Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Political Climate

I received an e-mail from a reporter at the S-T on Monday asking me to contact him.  Apparently the paper is looking into doing a story on the "political climate" in Fairhaven as the annual election approaches.  I wasn't going to respond, but curiosity getting the better of me I sent an response early yesterday morning with my contact number, and we ending up speaking yesterday afternoon.  

It was a fairly brief conversation.  Issues such as the relative stability of elected officials in office over the last decade, whether a 3 or 5 member board of selectmen would be best, and my thoughts on the charter commission he had heard was being proposed.   People's motivations for getting involved on certain issues were also touched upon.

I was asked a lot of "why" questions, pertaining to what people do or don't.  I don't know why people do or don't do things.  I can guess, I can have an opinion, but in the end it is only each of us who can answer the why.

We have had, and currently have some hot issues in town.  Believe it or not, no matter what may transpire as a result of a successful charter commission, we will continue to see that in the future.  One can put in place a great many things, and I absolutely believe that a review of town government is long overdue, but in the end unless people remain involved the change in the structure, if any, can only accomplish so much.

I have been thinking about the topics raised ever since.  Actually these are topics that have been on my mind on and off for awhile, and I know more than a few of you have been thinking along the same lines.

Just what is the political climate in Fairhaven at the moment?  If you can figure that one out at any given time, let me know.  

The only sure answer to that is that come the day after the annual election, the political make-up in town, and by extension the political climate, will be changing. A new selectmen, a new school committee member, a new board of health member are all going to be in place.  With the other contested elections, you could also see changes in board make-up.  

Let us not forget Town Meeting.  This will be the most significant change in make-up, and the annual meeting promises to be a true test of the climate that will exist.  

As things stand now, I would suggest people plan for a long day.  This suggestion is not being made at this point based on articles proposed which I have previously discussed.  Those handful of articles are going to involve some time, and as the meeting approaches will again be addressed.  Right now however, unless someone has a rabbit in their hat, I can't see this upcoming meeting being resolved without some serious debate on a number of spending articles.

No matter what specific article or several articles may have given you the push to become a member of Town Meeting, the fact is you will be elected to deal with all the articles.   I will be honest with you and state by this time I usually have a pretty firm idea of how things should shape up.  This year, the only thing for certain is I am extremely thankful for the fact the meeting isn't until May.

The other thing for certain is that it doesn't appear likely there will be any uniform consensus.  Expect some big battles over small amounts.  Expect even bigger battles over larger amounts.  Expect politics to come into play.   Groups forming alliances.  Departments forming alliances.  Citizens making speeches tugging on your heart strings.  

I understand some will use the above as evidence for their arguments about certain things they perceive as wrong.  The fact is, so long as there is a Town Meeting, no system you put in place will eliminate any of it.  

And let me be perfectly clear, I have no desire, motive, plan, vision, thought, inkling to propose a change to Fairhaven's Representative Town Meeting.  None whatsoever!  

In the interest of full disclosure, I will look at any charter commission report with an open mind.  I will note that I personally cannot envision any justifiable rationale to eliminate Town Meeting.  

How did this piece evolve into that, well that darn free form concept for one; but, also because someone suggested that was my motive behind pushing for a charter commission (no, not the reporter).

Back to the political climate in town.  Whatever you may think exists presently, it is definitely going to be changing in parameters after town meeting.  The people elected for town wide offices in April will certainly be an indication of what the voters are thinking on certain issues.  A more complete breakdown on that will be from looking at the votes in the various precincts.  

Depending on were you stand on specific issues, your side will either gain significant momentum or will be lucky to be treading water.    Of course there will be the close race arguments that will arise if there are close races.  Let us not forget the split vote arguments.  And always my favorite, low turnout.  

So the actual political climate in town right now?  I don't know.  I know what the temperature is on a few issues.  I have my opinions on the election, I think I know where we are heading, but the political climate can only be described in the same terms as our weather.  It is too unpredictable to be providing a forecast for 4 to 8 weeks from now.  Too much can happen in that time span that doesn't appear on any radar.

1 comment:

  1. The Political Climate In Fairhaven? Has been, still is, and shall always be HAZY and HOT with HUMOR.

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.