Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thursday's Ramblings

I have about thirty things running through my mind right now.  Some related to potential pieces to post, some related to the election, others concerning the town, the budget, personal matters.  No different than many of you I am sure.

The temptation to just open up on a topic, and let it all out is great.  Yet fortunately there is that little voice in the back of my mind that reminds me to temper that temptation with some moderation (Yes I hear voices all the time!  Lock me up, please!).  

Most of you I think understand that.  The need to temper one's statements and writings.  As a general rule, when writing something, I read it three times.  Why?  Well when you type like I do, it is probably a smart thing to do first of all.  

But also to make sure it makes sense to me, and hopefully is presented in such a way as to at least convey the aspect of reasoned thought (not that everyone will find it reasonable, which is understandable, given the fact it comes from someone who hears those little voices).  

There are many things I have written that never get to the "send" stage.  Sometimes it just helps to get it all out, even if no one else sees it or hears about it.  In case you haven't noticed, I can at times be a bit too passionate in speech.  As I think I have noted previously, I am on occasion not the most patient person.  Yes it is true, no point in denying it.  I work on that, I really do, but at times, this fault finds a way to show itself.

There are times when I wish I have said things differently.  Yet words once spoken cannot be erased.  Words written can and should be at times however.  

I suppose that is why this piece will be published today rather than something on another topic.  After reading the article originally done for today, I hit the delete button, rather than send.  sometimes it is just best not to comment.  

So I have indulged myself and partaken in "waxing poetically" a bit on really just some thoughts.

Charter News

I spoke with a few people yesterday, picked up some signatures on the petition to form a charter commission.  A couple of people seemed very receptive, a few signed but were a bit leery.  They understood however that this does no more than get the matter on the ballot for the voters to decide if this should happen.  

I ask people who may be opposed to such an idea to consider the fact that this gives the voters of the town a chance to make the decision of whether they are happy with the way things are or feel Fairhaven needs to at least take a look at how it operates.  

There are in fact other methods that can be used.  One would be a study commission formed by Town Meeting to make recommendations to that body.  Town Meeting then decides, and where appropriate petitions the legislature, and when allowed just adopts articles.  

We could simply adopt what are known as statutory forms of representative town meeting, and other provisions for operation.  

For me, the preference is the Charter Commission.  The same results in an depth, across the board review of government.  

I am fully aware of the potential for failure in this process, however that potential is no greater than the other methods.  The benefits I think trump the other methods.  I will be working on detailed comparisons and offer my personal insights as time progresses.

Enjoy your day everyone.

3 comments:

  1. I picked up some charter commission signature forms this morning at the clerk's office and I was wondering (in case anyone asks) what election ballot would this be included on? Fall 2012 or spring 2013. Would the charter commission members be elected on the same ballot or at a subsequent election based on the whether or not the question passes? The only clue I have on that topic is a reference on 2/23 to having "until September" to collect the signatures. Why September?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ballot would be part of the April 2013 election. The ballot would contain the question of whether to to do the "Commission". On the very same ballot would appear the candidates running for the commission. This would occur as part of the annual election.

    The September deadline (exact date unknown but will be calculated) is to meet the timing requirements for filing so that the commission question and members to be elected can be on the April 2013 ballot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to be philosophical about the work and peoples' concerns, my belief (and what I struggle to live up to myself) is the only real failure in this world is the failure to try. Even if it turns out nothing changes, the validation one gets is great knowledge to have.

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.