Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Day After Yesterday

It is official.  Bob Espindola is our new Selectman.  Whether you voted for Mr. Espindola or not, the fact that he pulled 42% of the vote in a four candidate race is pretty significant.  I think the explanation behind our new Selectman's victory was pretty well summed up in the story in today's edition of the S-T.

There were a lot of disappointed faces last night, along with some faces with big smiles on them.  To the smiling faces, and the winning candidates, congratulations.  Enjoy your victories.  Savor the moments.  You worked hard, you got your message out, and you are entitled savor the moment.  

To the disappointed faces, first to the candidates.  I, and I would like to believe most people, want to thank you for your efforts.  It is only by having true contests that the populace can get energized, differing ideas expressed and people involved.  Take it from one who has been on both sides of the election equation, I can understand what you may be feeling right now.  

I truly hope that you personally do stay involved.  We as a town need people of your talents and abilities working to make it a better place than it all ready is.  Fairhaven is a great town.  If I didn't believe that I wouldn't be here.  It is just as great today as it was yesterday.  Diverse points of view do not and should not automatically equal permanent division.  

To the disappointed supporters, please keep in mind that those elected yesterday were in fact elected.  You may not agree with them on all issues, or any issues, but remember that they are in fact your elected officials.  

You don't have to agree with them simply because they have been elected.  you do not have to remain silent on issues.  But you do have to work with them, as they now have to work for you.  

All the waxing poetically aside, let's take a look at the results and offer the two bit review and analysis.

One general observation first.  A whooping 25% of all voters turned out.  I am not sure what it will take to get a significant turnout in a town election.  If a four candidate race for selectman, three candidates for school committee and BPW, and a contested Board of Health race cannot generate a bigger interest than 25% of the voters in a general election, I don't no what can.

While my original prediction back in February I think was the 25% to 30% range, I really hope I would be wrong and we would see a much bigger turnout.  Sad to say, the results just covered the low end of that prediction.

As the saying goes, however, it is what it is.  I do not say this to in anyway diminish the victories won yesterday.  Winners and losers both had to deal with the same numbers.  there should be no arguments from anyone about the fact that it only happened because of a low turnout.  That to me is just sour grapes.  If it was that important to people they should have gone out and voted.  It is clear it was that important to those who did get out and vote.

Factor One - The turbines.  Can't escape it, shouldn't ignore it. Looking at the numbers, where they came from and how the votes were spread, no doubt there was a clear block expressing disapproval.  This group provided a core block of votes, always an important factor.  For those who voted based on that issue, remember to give your successful candidates some slack.  If you are expecting immediate relief on this issue, you are going to be severely disappointed.  Not out of a lack of willingness or ability, but rather out of the reality of what can and cannot be done. So again, remember give them some slack.

By the way, these factors are not going to be listed in what I consider order of importance.

Factor Two - The new school.  Time and again I heard comments about what was going to happen with this project after the election.  Still waiting for that rabbit to be pulled out of a hat, but there is no ignoring that some were looking at this election as a means to stop the project  (and not the candidates, heck if memory serves me one winner supported the one school). Also, no escaping the fact that some voted against at least one candidate because of his active support for the school.  Don't see a stop to the school happening to be honest, but again, maybe someone has a rabbit hidden somewhere.  Can't ignore that it didn't come into play though.

Factor Three - The change concept.  There is a very wide sentiment in town that things need to change.  This is not isolated to those against the turbines or the one school.  I believe there are changes needed. A lot of people I talked to acknowledge that the status quo, if not broken, is in need of a serious overhaul. Bob Espindola came across as the one candidate who was not a part of that status quo.

In my mind, I think any of the four candidates would have been independent thinkers, despite allegations to the contrary, despite who may have been backing them.  The simple fact is however that Selectman Espindola was the candidate that was perceived to fit the bill best.

It didn't hurt that he was a born and bred Fairhaven candidate, with long and strong ties to the community.  And let's face it, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, he comes off as an intelligent, sincere, honest, caring individual (not to say the others did not, he just managed to package it the best).  In being honest, I do believe he possesses those qualities.  In the end, I believe the town can be well served.

He will have a tough road to start with.  I can imagine some of his supporters will have great expectations.  Some he will be able to meet, some he may be able to meet, and others he won't.  the reality of politics and government.  

In the end change carried the day.  It started in a race or two last year, continued in this one, and I imagine will be a factor in next year's election. 

We should all hold out the belief that it will be a positive change.  Nothing wrong with doing that.  

Congratulations to the winners.  Thank you to all who ran, and a special thank you to those who did in fact go out and vote.











1 comment:

  1. Although the results weren’t what I expected, I’m blessed to have a wonderful family and great friends. I shared many laughs and had great times with so many good people. The future will continue to be successful for all of us, because we have each other. I have no regrets and hold no ill feelings towards anyone.

    Congratulations to Fairhaven's new Selectman Bob Espindola. I look forward to working with him on many important issues.

    I’ll end it with two quotes that I reference often:

    “I never thought of losing, but now that it' s happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life.”

    “To believe in yourself and to follow your dreams, to have goals in life and a drive to succeed, and to surround yourself with the things and the people that make you happy - this is success!”

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.