Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Give me just a little more time

Well believe it or not, it hasn't been a lack of resolve to keep my New Year's resolution for blogging that has kept me from posting the last two days.  I am actually chomping at the bit on a few things.  I actually have three posts in draft, two of which need a fifth and sixth reading before I resolve to hit that publish button.

Truthfully, I am in part waiting for Wednesday night.  I really want to hear what the candidates are going to be saying.  First, while I have a pretty good guess as far a both candidates, I also don't at this point want to essentially cause any alterations of any one of their scripts.

Absent any large shoe being dropped, say the one the size of a certain letter; or, absent a candidate suffering from a self-inflicted case of foot in mouth disease, say related to hamburgers and hot dogs, this is going to be a sleeper election. Low key, behind the scenes action for the most part.  

If the turn out breaks 20%, I will be very surprised.  Pleasantly because it will show at least a few more people have started to wake up and pay more attention and actually get involved to the extent of going out and vote, even in a sleeper election, but surprised nonetheless.

The best part of this town and its politics is people love to talk.  Folks, there aren't any secrets out there that remain secrets.  The plans of some new groups. The low key approach. The behind the scenes smear tactics. Nothing new there.  

Pay close enough attention and you can see how people are aligning, who is fence sitting, who is pretending to fence sit.  

After Wednesday, if you pay close enough attention, I am guessing it should be pretty easy for you to have make a decision.

Fro a whole bunch of reasons, most of them little ones, and a few big ones, until Wednesday comes and goes, at this point mums the word as far as some blogging stuff.  you of course are free to offer up what you want.

And what you want is what I want to hear. Because in the one tidbit I will let out at this point, I have always believed, will continue to believe and will continue to work toward decisions that aren't driven solely by the numbers.  

Personally, I have gone along with numerous decisions that I personally, as an individual, as just one person in a community, would not advocate for, fight for or support.  But it is my firm believe that any plan, any budget, any idea should always take into account the true needs of a community.

Yes indeed money will always be one of those true needs. Just as will police and fire protection, a school system, roads and a whole host of other things be components of the true needs of a community. 

Let's wait and see how the candidates propose balancing what to spend and not to spend taking into account the true needs of our community.  Better yet, let's see what they consider those true needs to be.

Until then?  Well for some things anyway, and until then,

Be safe.

1 comment:

  1. I'm predicting that when the evening is over there will still be one candidate sitting on the fence. He won't commit to a side, not knowing who's watching. Unless the opponent or the selected questions box him into a corner, I can't imagine learning more about him than we already know.
    If unopposed candidates show, I predict one in particular will find herself on the hot seat. That could be worth making a bucket of popcorn.
    I hope the two other unopposed candidates don't slobber on about their supposed merits. Running unopposed doesn't mean everyone's satisfied with your work. Guaranteed they won't get 100% of the day's votes.

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.