Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Election 2012 (eventually) & STM

Having a very hard time deciding what to post today.  There are a number of reasons for that.

Primarily, I suppose I am resisting the temptation to just unload both barrels today.  A knee jerk reaction to something very seldom results in anything positive, so I am going to do my best to exhibit the patience I am so often accused of lacking.

Yet that does not solve the problem of what to write today, does it.

I have been doing a lot of reading lately, on a lot of topics.  I have been reviewing web pages, reports, press releases, facebook postings, articles, studies from Oregon, Ontario, Massachusetts, Sweden to name a few.

With that reading, has come a fair amount of thinking.

And thinking about everything going on, I am forced to also ponder what will in fact happen.

So what do I see?

I see it is time to stop waxing poetically and get to it.

Election 2012 - five candidates so far for selectmen.  The field may narrow on its own by attrition.  If it doesn't then this will  truly be an interesting race.  I can't remember a field that large, not for selectmen anyway.

If you are trying to guess some of the questions you will be asked (the candidates that is), just go to the FairAction Fairhaven website and facebook page.

School committee race at present has 4 candidates for two positions.  The all ready voted on new Wood School seems like it will once again be an issue.  Some are advocating for a re-vote.  Another proposal I doubt anyone has thought through.

We have a race for tree warden (in fact the only official race at this point).

BPW will have a contested race, as will the Board of Health.

All good things really.  If nothing else we should all be happy so many people are stepping forward to run.

Let's just hope we can find the quality to go with the quantity.

STM

So it is official, there will be a Special Town Meeting on February 15, 2012.  Three articles so far are the attempted change to the town recall provision of its special act, term limits, and the vote to seek to terminate the wind turbine lease/contract and restore the land that has been cleared.

This is going to be an extremely interesting session.  Can you hear the out cry should these articles be declared invalid?  Simple fact of the matter is the proponent of an article has the burden of complying with the applicable law relative to submitting a properly worded and enforceable article.  If they don't well that is where it is going to get very interesting.

Something tells me we are going to be holding a meeting for the sole purpose of being there to here there is nothing legal to vote on.  That is my reading of the articles anyway.  But hey, I could be wrong.  I did read in the paper where one proponent stated these articles had been reviewed by the proponent's group's legal counsel.

Sounds like the making of another lawsuit to me.

Anyway, that's it for today.  Need to get back outside for round two with the only battle that matters right now (the snow).  Who knows, maybe when the actual storm blows over, I will be in a more verbose mood!

Stay safe all.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.