Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

Really, you just can't make this stuff up

Some interesting stories today in The Standard Times today.  

In the category of "you just can't make this stuff up", I refer you to the turbine testing article

CAUTION:  While I certainly encourage comments, as few as there may be I must nonetheless also note that people who may comment on this best dot their "i"s and "t"s before making any accusations reflecting intent on the part of anyone in the conducting of the test.  Despite popular opinion to the contrary, not all statements made on the internet are immune from the defamation laws.  Opinions are fine, accusations are another story entirely.

With that said let me wade deep in those waters, albeit briefly.

I first heard about the test SNAFU from someone who caught the news report on ABC-6.  So I went to the channel's web site this morning and read the print version of the story.  Then I read the article in The Standard Times.  Then I managed to find the letter purportedly from the developer to DEP online (I use "purportedly" because absent seeing the actual letter or a received copy that is all I can "use").

Where the test results should have ended the audible noise issue, if there is any eventual finding of no violation of the audible noise standard, it will be forever noted with an asterisk.

And you have to ask, if you are conducting tests, why wouldn't you have someone there who was trained in turbine troubleshooting and able to diagnosis or at least able to recognize problems? 

A key component to the whole noise issue invovles the turbines working as intended.

Falling back to the old "perception being 95%" of the battle theory, just what would you think the perception of a disinterested person would be after reading of these events?

Battle lost.

What else is there to say?  

Not much, but I will nonetheless add this is a another nail in the tightly nailed shut coffin for not allowing any matter providing discretion to negotiate on just about anything.

Time to jump off that soap box and move on.

Nine weeks from tomorrow is the first Saturday of May.  The date of the Annual Town Meeting, and the date historically for the May Special Town Meeting.

It is during the Special that it is anticipated matters addressing the DOR recommendations will be submitted.  No one that I know of who is willing to talk on or off the record is saying anything about the "language" which is intended to be proposed.

A whole lot of people however are offering opinions about anything that may be proposed.  If this were London and we had betting parlors offering odds on such matters, you could potentially make a killing on most of the anticipated proposals if you bet on passage and if the same managed to get passed.

Sentiment "on the street" makes it highly unlikely of any actual changes going through.  Nine weeks away and no one knows anything more than what concept is being proposed.  

I am hearing word on the street that there will be an attempt to get an article on the special to form a government study committee.  While I do feel Fairhaven needs to adopt a strong town manager/administrator government sooner rather than later, I am strongly resigning myself to the fact that we are essentially not going to see this take affect, at the soonest, until sometime in late 2015.

Okay, it slipped my mind for the moment but I started out by saying there were "some" interesting stories in the newspaper, not just the one mentioned.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember what else I found interesting, and I have run out of time.  

Be safe and enjoy what is suppose to be a weather event free weekend (finally)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.