Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

The late early morning report.

My intent for this morning was to do something on last night's candidates' night.  I will get to that, today if time allows, otherwise tomorrow.  Right now, at least in my small mind, I need to address something else.

First and foremost, the Finance Committee is not projecting a $1 million shortfall.  The Finance Committee has discussed the various options being thrown out by town administration in establishing a revenue figure to be used in formulating this years budget.

Under the most "conservative" scenario, the town will most likely have to make $1 million dollars in cuts if that scenario is followed.  If this happens, if these cuts are be made, let me be perfectly clear about the fact, which I pretty much think has been made perfectly clear elsewhere, these are self-inflicted wounds that will be made.

There is no black and white, no way out of it, million dollar shortfall for this year.  

There is no real danger of an "actual" deficit for this year.

What is being discussed is the need to curtail spending, based on revenue projections compiled  by the selectmen's office along with expenditure projections several years out, and the need to factor those things in in formulating a budget for this year.

The million dollar shortfall occurs if and only if the town decides to follow the most conservative revenue level being proposed.  The million dollar shortfall has been discussed in relation to that scenario only.  

It has been further discussed in connection with the fact town administration has yet to decide what revenue projection it will in fact use, however as everyone seems to be talking about staying as close to the conservative figure, if you are going to use it, then someone somewhere needs to propose the cuts that will be needed if you do.

The million dollar shortfall will be a self-imposed budget planning mechanism if adopted by Town Meeting. 

Folks, I understand Govt. Access is presently experiencing technical difficulties.  When it is back up, when you can, please watch all meetings, not just fin com, everybody.  I know its a lot to ask, but how about this for a compromise, don't simply accept anything you read as gospel.  Certainly not headlines.

Knowing the members of the Fin Com, one can expect it to be as fiscally responsible as possible, while still providing to the residents of this town as much of the services they have come to expect as possible.

As a member of fin com, you can rest assured that in this individual's mind, there is no million dollar shortfall for this year.  Neither do I intend to do a hatchet job to any budget because attempts are finally actually being made to do some real planning (emphasis definitely supplied).

Do not get me wrong.  I absolutely agree that as things stand right now, Fairhaven financially is in good shape, comparatively speaking.  I have some definite issues as to the specifics being thrown out of how and why that is, and I will stand by prior statements that pure dumb luck has come into play as much as anything else.

Shifting lanes just a bit ...

Comments from those on the rubber chicken circuit aside, there is a significant difference between public service and public sector employment.  Public service involves a consciousnesses choice to volunteer your time and donate your efforts.  I will readily include those elected officials who serve without pay or minimal stipends.  

Those who fall into the public sector employment category are paid to do a job.  they may feel they are underpaid, but paid nonetheless they are.

The fact that they accomplish things means they are earning their pay.  

We seem to get forget at times about the fact that the work that gets done by those collecting a salary for their job is not being done as a favor.  We all should certainly be thankful that people are doing a good job, but that is exactly what people are paid to do.

Past accomplishments do not entitle any employee to a free pass on anything.  You can be the best employee a company has in the private sector.  If you make a $700,000 error, do you think your boss is going to pat you on the back and tell you hey, no biggie, you done good last year, or last decade.

The fact that an employee stays with any entity for a long period of time is a result of many things. Past performance is always a criteria.  It should never be the sole criteria going forward.

And just a note to all past, present and future finance committee chairs (and members), it isn't your job to "save" the town money.  It is your function as a volunteer to make sure the budget is balanced.  It is your function to make sure Town Meeting is provided with accurate/complete information.  It is your function to make recommendations on articles that affect the town's finances.  It is your function to question and probe. and to have a basis for your recommendation other than that's what they told me.

Sometimes that means saving the Town money.  Sometimes it means pointing out what you feel is bad policy, bad proposals and just plain bad stuff.  Sometimes it means accepting the fact that spending is necessary for certain matters.  It also means you are appointed to represent not just your precincts, but the town; and, it means remembering that while your may be part of a team effort your job is to make sure that effort makes sense.

What it shouldn't be is to do the job of paid employees, or elected officials.  It shouldn't be about finding mistakes, income left off the table, or having to pull teeth to get information.  It shouldn't be a lot of things that it actually is.

I would not recommend everyone adopt my style.  I can be abrasive, less than diplomatic, and I will even go along with rude at times (but I think terse is much better) .  I am also beginning to even lose my well known patience on matters.

I am what I am.  

I do try and work on it.  I suppose if my success at improvement was a batting average, I probably hover somewhere along the Mendoza line, but I keeping trying to work at it.

As I also try to work on a budget that has no set revenue level by Town Administration, no formal policy, no town administration recommendations as to potential significant reductions, and constantly changing figures.  Year in and year out.  

Maybe that stuff didn't bother some past chairs or members, but this particular one and a number of others I have been privileged to serve with over the years or have seen and observed, even ones I had significant political differences with, aren't rubber stamps and haven't been; and, aren't going to blindly tow the party line when it is readily apparent that line has some kinks in it, despite the willingness of others who readily did so.

As to the Candidate's night last night, I am really running out of time today.  

To be honest though, I am not really sure what should be said. I really am not.  I wouldn't say I am speechless, I just can't put together the right analysis without further accusations of  disrespect or unfounded criticism.  

Not that I really care mind you, it is just trying to provide a well balanced "analysis" escapes me. I am really not sure I could do that right now and not violate my own rules for commenting.

I listened intently to the Selectman candidates speeches and Q &A.  Despite anyone who thinks I couldn't hear out in the hallway.

The absolute definite thing I can say is you need to see this when it airs on govt. access.  

You absolutely do. 

You need to encourage everyone you know with cable or a computer (assuming it gets posted on demand) to do the same.  

This definitely falls under the category of must see T.V.   

If you don't have time for the whole thing, catch the first 25 minutes or so.  Please.

Remember the concepts of team work, communication, co-operation.  Watch, listen and decide.

As to the format, dig up last year's post and apply the criticisms.  Add the fact it appeared the candidates were being given the ground rules about 5 minutes before hand (and not just to be mind you).

As to the panel asking questions, I know all three of them.  

I would not question their integrity, nor do I think you should.  

That being said, if you are going to have a question and answer period, at a candidates night, those questions and answers shouldn't be coming from town employees or committee members, no matter who they are.

Another personal opinion here folks, but the integrity of the process should be paramount.  There are many town employees and committee/board appointees who I have a great deal of respect for, including those on last night's panel.  That fact however does not change my opinion.

By the way, for those asking themselves, okay what would you do? Let them give their speeches.  If you want to keep this an "introduction" to town voters, end it there.  Better yet, give each candidate the opportunity to ask questions of an opponent.  If you think that is too confrontational, then leave it at the speeches.  Get the press involved, come up with a set formula for determining questions before hand, identical questions to be asked of each candidate.  There are so many  alternatives.

I still don't know who actually runs this thing, who picks the panel and who picks the moderator. If you do, let me know.

Last thing for today about the candidate's night, you really should watch all of it.  You should listen to what everyone said and you should make the attempt to do so for the other events coming up.

That's it. Be safe. 















1 comment:

  1. "As I also try to work on a budget that has no set revenue level by Town Administration, no formal policy, no town administration recommendations as to potential significant reductions, and constantly changing figures. Year in and year out"

    But isn’t that the new norm. It seems the new norm when looking at the lack of a budget from the White House or Senate. It seems that is the norm when looking to the Governor’s Office. Other countries? No budgets, more deficits and financial ruin and bailouts by the American taxpayer.(Mexican Peso, Euro, Russia, Egypt, Poland…) All the wrong models. Or all the wrong approaches to the right models maybe. Either way is is the new norm.

    The right models? Not Colleges or Universities (UMassD) that study finance and give birth to our next group of officers of the new norm. Maybe it is the salary capped NFL.

    But unless you know of some entity that is doing it correctly, it is going to be hard to provide a sensible approach to the nonsense that surrounds us. Impossible to find a role model for your committee or the taxpayers. I would suggest the Fairhaven Finance Committee should possibly be a role model to all the above. (I can't believe that came fom my lips..new norm?)We shouldn't discount the work done by town hall employees, as long as parties keep referring to Fairhaven as " excellent bond rating and well managed. Then again I will wait to see what happens at Town Meeting…

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.