Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

An Emergency Post

I made the effort to attend today's Board of Health "emergency" meeting. I mean if something came up to warrant the calling of an emergency meeting, it must be important.

I have to say I still remain more than just a bit perplexed how any emergency existed necessitating an emergency meeting, and as far as the stated reason for an executive session ... Let's just deal with one rant a time.

I went, with a brief moment of hope that there was a real reason for this "emergency" meeting.  For a fleeting moment, I allowed myself the positive thought that something was going to get done.

It took all of about 20 seconds into the meeting to realize that today was not going to be any different than yesterday, or any other recent meeting.

The closest thing I heard by way of an explanation to justify the abuse of governmental process, which was stated after the meeting had adjourned by the way, came from the B of H member on the steering committee during her press conference.  I am not going to put words into any one's mouth. Besides I am still not sure I believe what I heard so rather than get it wrong, I will leave it to the press to do that reporting.

I am however going to say that if what I believe I heard is the present explanation, I will counter with the statement that open and transparent government should be more than a campaign slogan.

Maybe at some point in time the members of that board will do the public the courtesy of explaining exactly why an emergency meeting was necessitated. Given enough time, I am sure someone can come up with a plausible excuse.

Provide a timeline of the events, like say on Wednesday something happens at a steering committee meeting. A quick response was needed so we call an emergency meeting on Thursday to be held on Friday, but we had to cancel on Friday.  So instead of posting a new meeting on Friday for Tuesday, which would have given us the 48 hrs. notice required, we waited until Monday to post an emergency meeting for Tuesday.

It is either that, or something happened over the weekend that no one is aware of.  Now me, I am hoping for something happening over the weekend.  A true surprise would be a heck of a lot easier to swallow than an increasingly too familiar S.O.P.

There was some babble about the why, but the rhetoric during the public session was less than brief and also less than convincing.  Oh heck, as far as I am concerned it was nonexistent.  The excuse after the meeting was flimsy at best, and that is being kind.  But I will give some credit where some credit is due, at least one member actually tried to come up with an excuse.

Even with that, I am sorry, there should be no excuses and no free passes here for anyone.

I do not care what side of the turbine issue you are on, every citizen in this town should be up in arms over this "emergency" meeting.

1 comment:

  1. Again Fairhaven politics at there best,where is the emergency.A good part of the meeting was shown on ABC news after the fact.Someone who lives near the turbines complained about headaches at home but none away from them,albeit no medical proof of such.It was also stated the turbine revenue was needed to keep from losing town services in the near future.The only thing missing was a reference about needing town council to help in the decision process.

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.