Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Three in a row, and perhaps skip a beat or two

A win is a win folks. I get that.  But a roughly 3% margin of victory from a vote of at best 1/3 of the members of an elected representative body is, and will always be, less than a clear expression of anything.

Of course in today's day and age, when any win is considered a significant mandate, you can spin it any way you want.

It is however what it is. We proceed forward with it.  We deal with it. We live with it.

Speaking of dealing with it ... any info on last nights pot hearing.  Another no brainer choice for me. So I missed the continuation.

Moving on ... 

A sincere thank you to those who made my morning reads and scrolls happen a bit faster over the past few weeks. Always good when people help you do your spring cleaning. 

Another step ... forward? Maybe carefully.

Maybe not.

I ran across a Facebook post yesterday about a school district in our region which made the decision to do away with its "Honors" night. The reason for the cancellation as stated in multiple media sources:
Members of the school community have long expressed concerns related to the exclusive nature of Honors Night. Therefore, we have made the collective decision to recognize students during team-based recognition ceremonies and graduation.
There is no doubt that is a significant element of exclusivity to an Honors Night. Does that make it wrong?

Now to be fair, it seems there has been a change in heart about the cancellation.  But the fact the move was considered and implemented still has to make you shake your heads.

Call me what you will, such moves do not promote excellence.

By the way, call it what you will, but don't call these comments an invitation to go on a tear on the national debate about another topic.

The main point, and while I will definitely agree somewhat related to the other area, is collective wisdom seems to be straying to the adoption of some perverted horizontal social collectivism.

I have often quoted Einstein's definition of insanity.  Today I offer you another point of view
"One of the definitions of sanity is the ability to tell real from unreal. Soon we'll need a new definition." - Alvin Toffler
If such actions are in fact what should be real, well I am one step away from insanity.

Enough for today.

Be safe.


2 comments:

  1. Michelle FurtadoWednesday, May 21, 2014

    As a parent, I don't find anything off-putting about an "honors night." If my child qualified to participate in one, I wouldn't argue whether the school chose to uphold the tradition or not. Tomorrow's another day. Similarly if my child didn't qualify to attend for one reason or another, I wouldn't be offended if the school held the event for those who did. I find that it's not the talk of the school yard the next day. Congratulations to all who earn the recognition. Now getting back to work....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Special Permit was granted for the RMD, 6-1.

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.