Pages

Friday, December 4, 2015

TGIF

Another week of what do I do.  Several different drafts being worked on, and just as I would be putting a finishing touch, something popped into mind, or something happens to change the mood..

Why should today be any different?

I have a few drafts which deal with my favorite rant of the moment, and the same will eventually get out to see the light of the computer screen. For today, let's note a thing or two about the two edifices that seem to some comprise the cornerstones of our existence.

Well one certainly does.  The one that bares the name of our esteemed benefactor. I will however save the blasphemy for some point in the future.

Right now we have the most immediate issue of the Oxford "school".  The S-T today notes that based on the meeting last night in town, two or our three are leaning toward the "multi-use".  Indeed, for some reason, there seems to be a perception that such a multi-use is going to significantly benefit the area.

You know what? In the relative scheme of life, go knock your socks off and do it.  

The leaning toward the multi-use has little however to do with the real benefit to the town, at least in my opinion. 

The wind is definitely blowing in that direction. It is amazing that some are still standing after so many years of leaning in the direction that the wind is blowing.  

To even imply that even part of your reason to by-pass a 62+ housing is because there is no guaranty the housing will go to Fairhaven residents is to ignore the converse as to what preference will Fairhaven youth or residents have in the other program. 

I am sure there is a not for profit or two in our fair haven attracted to the prospects of access to such a multi-use building.  Why not continue to honor the long standing tradition ion this town of taking care of the needs of groups rather than weighing the impact and benefits long term to town residents.

At some point the light is going to shine on the not for profit concept also, but again not just this day.

Time to move on ...

Ever give it your best attempt to look at an issue, a problem, and to be as objective as possible.  Hard to do, I know.  Necessary though.  One of the reasons more drafts get tossed than get printed.

The most important decision any Board has made in our town will be happening very soon.  I suppose we are fortunate in the sense that the folks who proffered up the names for consideration feel that any one of the three would be good.

If the interviews go according to the time table on the agenda, it is going to be a long morning stretching into early afternoon.  Not a bad thing either.  Should be a lot of hard questions asked. 

These folks are the top three from what, 26 applicants?  The best of the crop who most closely match the professional attributes in the profile posted for the position. I have posted the link for the profile, in case you want to see what the town was looking for and than match up how the finalists meet the criteria based on records and the interview.  

Anyway ... as tempting as it is at this particular moment to gnaw away at a thing or two, I won't.

In a throw back moment ... Be Safe!





2 comments:

  1. Both of the schools require major rehab, to accept any proposal without the financial backing in place is foolhardy. The mixed use Oxford proposal to maintain the building as is, well is a joke. As is isn't enough. Just to repair the damage created when Godzilla ate the copula and the maybe Paul Revere Bell off is a start. I went inside for the fire sale, and what I saw was also not promising. I was not able to see the entire building, so I can't say what the original buildings condition was.

    I was fortunate enough to be able to inspect almost ever inch of the Rogers building during it's fire sale, including the unsafe for human habitation mystery 3rd floor. Yes, it's worse than you can imagine, I won't go into details, but it's an embarrassment and an outrage that our town's children were in that school for decades with the hazardous mess that was above their heads. The basement level was also a complete disgrace. I know that the building has been closed up now for a couple of years, but the amount of mold and mildew I witnessed was incredible. I can't even remember how many shades of mold I encountered, but I ensure you there is toxic mold in that building. Inspecting some on the hidden basement rooms was shocking, needless to say the children were also in this building when it had unsafe levels of mold.

    The fire sale at Rogers also had many irreplaceable original doors, windows, art work, desks and building fixtures walk out the door for pennies. If the town was truly interested in getting the best bid and have this building historically preserved, they just decreased the value to potential bidders once again.

    What's the best solution? Maybe the town needs to form yet another committee and drag this on for as long as it takes for the building to literally crumble into the ground, or let the powers of three make an executive session decision and the town folk will deal with the outcome. As we all know 3 heads are better than one, or is it too many chefs spoil the soup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, I agree with you on many accounts. I've never seen the inside of Oxford, so I have no input on that, but the Godzilla/cupola is spot on.

    I was also horrified by the condition of Roger's when I saw it at the tag sale. I went there in the early 80s, which is why I wanted to check the place out. I've also read the inspectikn report that detailed all the issues it had when the report was written. Without a doubt, things are much worse now.

    I couldn't even bring myself to walk on any floor except the first. The interior brickwork was effloresced and the mildew odor was so bad, there was no doubt there were major moisture issues inside. The exterior condition is really no better. Whether there is "toxic" mold or not (you have to actually test for that), the other major issues of that structure are obvious.

    While I was there, I heard some of the staff talking about people simply waking out with stuff (aka LARCENY). Other unscrupulous folks were removing door hardware, coat hooks, and even heating register grates. It was a sad state of affairs.

    I can't see Rogers being used for ANYTHING at this point. The work to refurbish that building would not be worth the money - public or private - that would be needed to repair it, never mind bring it up to date.

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.