Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

So what's up?

Skipped another day yesterday.  Not that I didn't write a post.  I did.  Several times.  However following my advice to read it once, twice, three times, after the third reading, the decision was hit delete instead of publish.  

While some of you may find this hard to believe, I actually can and do bite my tongue, so to speak.  Even when on a rant, half of what I want to say remains unsaid.  Anyway ...

First up, yesterday's fluff piece in The Standard Times about the election. I call it a fluff piece because it isn't going to be a heavy lifting election year.  Two contested races. Two candidates each in both elections.

The S-T has it right in that the turbines will play a role in only one of the two races. I should say probably right.  The turbines are an issue that one never knows when or where it will heat up. Neither the challenger nor the incumbent in the BOH race is going to escape their position on the turbines on this issue.  

Stack it up anyway you want, I still see this particular race being driven by one single issue.  In the end, when people vote, the deciding factor is often based on that anyway.  Disagree if you want, but let's face it, whether it is an easy choice for you or a hard choice, the deciding factor is usually based on the stance on the most important issue to you, isn't it?

In the selectmen's race, it will be very interesting to hear the "financial" discussion that develops in the selectmen's race. The first issue has been framed by the statements in the paper to the challenger.  We don't have an income problem, it is an expense problem.

He is half right, which means he is also half wrong.  The problem involves both aspects.  Of course that is just my opinion.  

What I am always interested in hearing is not just what the problem is, but the solution to the problem.  

Heck, could use a few solutions for this year.  

Anyway, time will certainly tell, right?

I missed the special edition of the selectmen's hearing last night. Also, missed the special edition of the Town Government Study Committee.  So that's why no comment on the same.  As far as you commenting, I am aware of the dog nuisance hearing, and from the comments on Facebook it apparently was interesting.  

Seriously, and I mean this, save your comments on that one for Facebook or elsewhere.  I have neither the time or inclination to spend on a comment chain devoted to the dog hearing.  

You may ask why mention it at all then? Because I mentioned the selectmen's meeting, and that opened the door, which I am shutting.

In fact, if I wasn't in the need of some filler, I would go back and delete it.

Tonight's meeting of the Board should be interesting, however the 5 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. posses a dilemma.  I have my own meeting tonight scheduled for 7:00.   Police and Fire are the first two budgets scheduled to be discussed.  BPW is scheduled for 6:00 with School Dept. at 6:30.  Assuming the 1/2 hr. allotment for each holds true, I would have to miss at least have of the BPW and all of the school.  

Wonder if we are going to hear any suggestions about expense problems?

Anyway ...

It is going to be a busy day in Town, and for me too. so, that's all there is today.

Be safe.

3 comments:

  1. Some kind of aqua-shellfish item was accepted by the town at last night's meeting. The sales pitch for accepting the item was that it would be beneficial to so many- students, towns people, scouts, and more. It all sounded good until the question came about the working condition of it and budgeting for maintenance was asked. Then the shellfish warden gave a roundabout answer that it wouldn't cost much. He has parts that might work. It probably will be minimal when the situation is looked at more closely. And let's mention the fence to surround the item. It seems like we've just taken on another expense without looking at exactly what the final cost will be. I hope it's going to benefit everyone as much as it was explained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roundabout is just about par for the shellfish wardens budget scenarios.He will wait for guidance from the harbormaster before commiting tp any meaningful numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many things can we continue to take possession of without first knowing how we're going to make it functional? Should we pick up every TV we see at the curb just because it's free?
    If details of the condition of the item and what it will take to make it operable can't be explained at the meeting, maybe we shouldn't accept it until it is explained.

    Water supply and electricity access was mentioned. How much, and whose paying?

    ReplyDelete

Prior to posting a comment, please review "Comment Rules" page.